Apple Watch isn't for Lefties!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by roland.g, Sep 9, 2014.

1. roland.g, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014

roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No left handed version, no sale. On a normal watch you simply don't use the crown that often, but on an Apple Watch, you will be using it a lot. For us lefties who wear our watch on the right wrist, a left mounted crown would be essential so we aren't reaching over the screen.

MOD Note
    Post creation of this thread, Information has been released to with regards to Left Handed users
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1774103

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

You could wear it on your left wrist.

3. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Are we saying the lefties don't use their right hands at all?

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

One of the hands on reviews said that the software will allow a lefty orientation during setup. It does look like the watch is symmetrical aside from the crown and button, so hope this is the case.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

No, but most lefties don't have the dexterity to control it with their right hand. Think about it as a righty if you had to do a lot of pinpoint control things with your left. I have never worn a watch on my left wrist. Unless they make a lefty version or it can be worn upside down and have the screen flipped or something they will lose a lot of sales.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Has absolutely nothing to do with dexterity. If I wore a watch on my left hand, it would snag on everything, and I'd beat the hell out of it. Most people wear watches on their non-dominant hand just so they don't get in the way.

7. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I'm left handed and I've always worn my watch on my left wrist. It actually feels unnatural otherwise.

Putting that aside, hopefully they have a configurable option in the software for this.

8. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

maybe it will be reversible? the buttons would be the other way around.. but it seems like a decent way to solve the issue.

9. phrozend macrumors member

Roland. I take it you live in a home without any doors. You buy special scissors at a special store. You love McCartney and you hate Lennon. :)

10. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Folks, they're going to solve this one with software and the removable bands. Put it in lefty mode, reverse the bands, and now the crown is on the side that you need it to be.

Not sure why everyone is freaking out about this.

11. Fuzzy Dunlop macrumors member

Fuzzy Dunlop

Am I the only left-handed person that wears a watch on the left wrist?

12. Dan70 macrumors regular

I'm right handed but I'd have to wear it on my right wrist and the fact the crown is on the right hand side does spoil it for me a bit. Will have to try and get use to having a watch on my left wrist.

13. firewood macrumors 604

Just flip the Watch display upside-down, and it auto-magically becomes a left-hander's watch that can be worn on the other wrist.

It's probably just a mode in the Watch Settings.

The straps probably easily reverse as well.

14. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I would wear it on my right hand. It seems like you can use it as is if you can just spin the dial with one finger, and your wouldn't cover up the screen by doing so.

15. Dirtycazz macrumors newbie

If you wear the watch on your right hand, how are you going to use the writing feature? Some comments are just ignorant. The lefty or southpaw feature better allow the watch to work upside down. True lefties need to use the watch on their right wrist. Lefties who have adapted to society and wear a watch on their right wrist need to be acclimated to the left.

----------

I hope that's the case.

16. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Apple Insider confirmed it. No worries.

17. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

Nope I do too. But I'm mixed up, I play my drums right handed but guitar left handed, of an I'm right footed, some days lol.

18. prowlmedia macrumors 68000

Yeah it will be I am sure. Flip it over swap the bands. Done. the scrollydodad will just be on the bottom instead.

And

19. Drewsf1 macrumors newbie

Please Stop

Please stop creating these moronic threads—the watch and bands are reversible for lefties.

20. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

It does work for lefties.

You can choose orientation.

The straps can be swapped, putting the crown on your left when it's on your right wrist.

You should consider reading more info about unreleased products before freaking out.

21. mtmac macrumors regular

I think adding a crown was a great idea for a smart watch. It makes it look less techy and familiar. However, I thought they screwed up by not placing it in the center. Had it been centered with a button on each side, a software patch could be developed and it would be exactly the same for wearers on either hand. When designing a crown to make it look more traditional, why not opt for the traditional placement that would both look better and wouldn't change based on hand orientation?

22. Cyborgeek macrumors newbie

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

All bow to the all knowing Drewsf1 who was born knowing every obscure unmentioned detail all you pedestrian keynote watchers should already know.

24. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

I'm left-handed, and I wear my watch on my left wrist too.

25. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin