Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
So I'm using my brand new Apple watch Sport, and regardless if my phone has DnD on or off, whenever the phone is in my pocket I do not get any notifications on the watch. No red dot. If i start an alarm on the watch, I get no alarm on the phone. The only thing that seems to be working is the calling feature. If I get a text while the phone is in my pocket, and on ring (and silent) I get NO indication on the watch. Messages shows no messages. Is this because I'm on iOS 9 GM and my watch is on OS 1.0.1?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm not sure what you have for settings but I can tell you alarms you set on the watch will only alert on the watch. Alarms you set on the phone will alert your watch, so its easier to set alarms on the phone and get the alarm in both places. Your notifications should be coming through. Make sure you have the on in both the watch app and on the phone. You might try to reset the watch and see if that helps. To reset, hold the digital crown and friends button at the same time until you see the Apple logo. It will take a few minutes to reboot but it might solve your issue.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Thank you. I'm just wondering if there's some discrepancy between watch 1.0.1 and iOS 9 GM. If my phone is on silent or DND in my pocket, should I still get the alert on the watch?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you. I'm just wondering if there's some discrepancy between watch 1.0.1 and iOS 9 GM. If my phone is on silent or DND in my pocket, should I still get the alert on the watch?

For DND, make sure your watch is not set to mirror the DND setting on the phone. If mirroring is on, turning on DND on the phone will also put your watch in DND.

If your phone is just on silent, the notifications should come through on your watch.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Perhaps try un pairing, rebooting both watch and phone, then repairing again. This has helped me in the past. I think with the various updates some things got messed up a little.

Even now, sometimes my text notifications seem delayed by about three minutes for some reason if it's coming via SMS instead of IMessage.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Perhaps try un pairing, rebooting both watch and phone, then repairing again. This has helped me in the past. I think with the various updates some things got messed up a little.

Even now, sometimes my text notifications seem delayed by about three minutes for some reason if it's coming via SMS instead of IMessage.
Done that many times. Sadly my notifications are still sporadic. Sigh.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Narrowed it down to this: notifications only work for a day and then the watch has to be re- paired for notifications to work again. Calling works 100% of the time.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
The only thing I can think of is your currently on iOS9 beta.

If I was in your shoes I'd wait until Wednesday update the iPhone too the official iOS9 release. Then do a hard reset on the Apple Watch, inc un-pair and pairing up after. I think the beta might possible be doing something with the two.

If not I'd suggest Apple Store as you and other have mentioned what I would have done.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia

If I was in your shoes I'd wait until Wednesday update the iPhone too the official iOS9 release. Then do a hard reset on the Apple Watch, inc un-pair and pairing up after. I think the beta might possible be doing something with the two.

If not I'd suggest Apple Store as you and other have mentioned what I would have done.

I am on the iOS 9 GM.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO

This shouldn't matter. I've been using the iOS Public Beta since it was first released with watchOS 1.0.1, and I've not had any problems similar to what the OP described.

OP, I would consider setting up a genius bar appointment or calling AppleCare. They can walk you through all the settings to make sure you don't have anything set in a strange way, and if they determine it's not a settings issue they may decide to do any exchange for you.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
On my iPhone 6 everything worked great. When I pair it to my iPhone 5 I do not get my email notifications but everything else. Not sure if it is due to the different phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.