MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its regional websites for Chile, The Philippines and South Africa to indicate the Apple Watch will be available in those countries on October 23.

apple-watch-trio-new-800x316.jpg

Apple Watch became available for purchase on October 9 in Belgium, Finland, Norway, Luxembourg and Poland. The wrist-worn device expands to Brazil and Columbia on October 16 and to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates on October 22.

April 24: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, UK, US
June 26: Italy, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, and Taiwan
July 17: The Netherlands, Sweden, and Thailand
July 31: New Zealand, Russia, and Turkey
September 25: Austria, Denmark, and Ireland
October 9: Belgium, Finland, Norway, Luxembourg, and Poland
October 16: Brazil and Colombia
October 22: Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates
October 23: Chile, Philippines, and South Africa
In the Philippines, the Apple Watch Sport starts at ? 19,990.00, which is roughly $437 in U.S. dollars as of October 15. Apple Watch prices in Chile and South Africa are not yet listed on the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: Apple Watch Launches in Chile, Philippines and South Africa on October 23

Reactions: appledefenceforce

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Saw Africa in the title and all I can think of now is Hasa Diga Eebowai.

Am I a bad person?

Comment

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Get the stainless one, my South African friends. I originally bought the aluminum but recently sold it on swappa and bought a stainless one. Stainless steel is just so much more attractive and substantial feeling.

Reactions: haruhiko
Comment

gustavodonat

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
The Same in Chile
Today MacOnline and ReifStore (the Apple Official Premium Resellers) confirms this.

The orders starts in October 16 and the sales starts in October 23.

Reactions: Tomapple
Comment

Tomapple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Santiago, Chile
FINALLY coming to Chile! I don't get why we are left so behind in Apple's products rollouts.

I quote from Wikipedia:

"Chile is one of South America's most stable and prosperous nations,[10] leading Latin American nations in human development, competitiveness, income per capita, globalization, economic freedom, and low perception of corruption.[11] Since July 2013, Chile is considered by the World Bank as a "high-income economy", and hence as a developed country.[126][127][128]

Chile has the highest degree of economic freedom in South America (ranking 7th worldwide), owing to its independent and efficient judicial system and prudent public finance management.[129] In May 2010 Chile became the first South American country to join the OECD.[130] In 2006, Chile became the country with the highest nominal GDP per capita in Latin America.[131]"

And still, we are not even in the top 100 countries that apple gives priority to deliver their products. LAME!

Comment

apparatchik

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
Hey MR, its Colombia, not Columbia. As much as they may mean the same thing, its not right.

And to the poster above, a little complex have we? There are european countries who dont have the watch neither, countries about the size and importance as Chile, but actually not bordered by Bolivia and Perú.

Comment

Tomapple

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Santiago, Chile
Hey MR, its Colombia, not Columbia. As much as they may mean the same thing, its not right.

And to the poster above, a little complex have we? There are european countries who dont have the watch neither, countries about the size and importance as Chile, but actually not bordered by Bolivia and Perú.
I didn't catch your point about European countries not being bordered by Bolivia and Peru. But yeah, distribution of products must be complex.

Comment

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
Nope. I'm not buying the “complexity of distribution” argument. Every country that has an official online Apple Store should get the Apple Watch in the same timeframe as an iPod. It can't be compared even to the iPhone launches, for which deals have to be reached with mobile operators (which, in turn, require coding specific baseband firmware).

I'd expect that the manufacturing-and-distribution-chain-extraordinaire Tim Cook et al. would've gotten this launch right and lean by now. As it stands, it's looking even worse than my last Rev. USB 2 17'' iMac G4 (my first Mac), which reached Portugal much faster than this newfangled gizmo (in much smaller quantities, it must be said, but still). If they drag this much further, I might as well wait for Apple Watch 2. :mad:

Comment

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
"Apple Watch prices in Chile and South Africa are not yet listed on the Apple Online Store. "

There is no Apple Online Store in Chile.
There wasn't an official Apple Store in Portugal back then either. We had a crappy importer/distributor that was super slow and inefficient. The turning point actually came with the iPhone or the switch to Intel processors (they happened in consecutive years, so I can't pinpoint exactly when [Edit: Actually, we only got the iPhone 3G, but the point still holds; it happened circa 2006-08, long enough for me not to remember it in detail as I always bought my stuff at FNAC]), and we have enjoyed an official online store and decent store-within-a-store and proper Premium Resellers/AASPs ever since.

So where the hell is the Apple Watch? Does not compute, honestly.

Comment

MyNameIsURL

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
Australia
I recently had a few thousand to spend and I thought about an Apple Watch to go with all my other Apple tech, but I'm just not convinced I'll use it much. And I think the most I've ever spent on a watch is about a hundred bucks, here in Australia the Apple watches are around $500. I think I might wait a few Watch generations before I buy one.

Comment

psalazarc

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
Chile
Someone leaked Chilean prices and they are WAY too expensive. I thought they would be closer to the US asking price. Guess I'll buy it abroad.
2gx4hsi.png

Comment

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Today I went into my local Apple store for a genius appointment. So busy, this store constantly has a two week backlog of appointments, so they are now allowing those with an appointment to come in 30 minutes before the store opens just to check in.

And so it was another morning of wait, wait and wait some more. An ideal opportunity to people watch as this store is just packed from the moment it opens until the time it closes.

The third time this year I've spent several hours in an Apple Store observing, I remain amazed at how the Apple Watch is avoided by 99% of the walk ins and others.

Not once have I seen someone looking, trying on a watch, or even looking through that giant slab of glass that covers the display case. Taking up so much room it's a shame that Apple is wasting that valuable retail space.

When Apple makes a mistake it's a big one.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
FINALLY coming to Chile! I don't get why we are left so behind in Apple's products rollouts.

I quote from Wikipedia:

"Chile is one of South America's most stable and prosperous nations,[10] leading Latin American nations in human development, competitiveness, income per capita, globalization, economic freedom, and low perception of corruption.[11] Since July 2013, Chile is considered by the World Bank as a "high-income economy", and hence as a developed country.[126][127][128]

Chile has the highest degree of economic freedom in South America (ranking 7th worldwide), owing to its independent and efficient judicial system and prudent public finance management.[129] In May 2010 Chile became the first South American country to join the OECD.[130] In 2006, Chile became the country with the highest nominal GDP per capita in Latin America.[131]"

And still, we are not even in the top 100 countries that apple gives priority to deliver their products. LAME!

I'd like to visit Chile. Looks like a beautiful country.

Must remember to take a sweater.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.