Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Having never owned an Apple Watch and now contemplating on getting an Apple Watch 4 Series. I am however curious about the life expectancy of such device and potential planned obsolescent, are the older models still upgradeable to the latest OS?

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Original battery will give out before anything else. 18 to 24 months. After that the battery won’t hold a charge as well.

kissfan

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2011
Florida
My Series2 is about 2.5 years old and is running the latest WatchOS. But it’s starting to get a bit slow, like the phones do.

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Original battery will give out before anything else. 18 to 24 months. After that the battery won’t hold a charge as well.

Was expecting a better life expectancy than that! Any idea if the battery is replaceable?

My Series2 is about 2.5 years old and is running the latest WatchOS. But it’s starting to get a bit slow, like the phones do.

Good to know that the older watches can run on the latest OS, thanks.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Apple Watch includes a 1000cycle/80% health battery, meaning with heavy use it will last for 3+ years. iPhones have a 500 cycle battery.

OP: I currently have an S3, but my S0 still works - it's just very slow.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The term ‘Planned obsolescence’ is really misunderstood on these forums quite frequently. As Technology progresses, that means processor improvements, software features, etc, older Gen devices like the Apple Watch that are not optimized or sufficient to support certain enhancements with new technology, generally become slower over time, that doesn’t mean that it’s ‘Planned’, it means it’s progressive where dated technology is superseded by something else, That does not apply just to Tech, that applies to many other aspects., as technology is consistently evolving. However, Apple products tend to be some of the longest lasting products, but none of it’s planned with the intent to force the consumer to do anything.

Reference the Apple Watch, now with the 64-bit S4 dual core, it’s far more capable (And powerful) than the first Gen watch ever was.

Last edited:

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I have an almost 3year old AWO. It gets through most days. Where it has trouble is when I use the exercise app for more than 3 hours - then I charge it while taking a shower.

But several friends have purchased newer watches, and they report that the battery life is much, much better.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have a launch day S2 (release September 2016) and it can last almost 1.5 days with light use. I have a S4, that I use during the day and the S2 at night just for sleep tracking.

Naramis

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
My Series 2 is already annoyingly slow on some apps (the Strong workout app is nearly unusable). Battery has gotten worse but still lasts more than 1 day

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My S3 GPS I've owned for a year now. Going strong and not slow at all. I hope to get at least another year of usage out but I imagine 2 years more (3 total) would be fairly easy. Like Relentless Power said, the latest watch is far more future proof.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
My three year old Series 0 Watch refuses to die . . . . Even the battery life is unchanged. But I finally got a Series 3 in June.

I was pleasantly surprised at the longevity of the Series 0. I'm confident the Series 3 will last me for 3 years and also confident I'll want a newer model before then. :cool:

Reactions: CaneCollegeboy

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
In my opinion, I do not think I will be accepting updates on my watch. I think it these things slow down when you get updates. Same thing I am doing with my phone; staying on the ios 12 and not taking incremental updates unless it is ios 13

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
In my opinion, I do not think I will be accepting updates on my watch. I think it these things slow down when you get updates. Same thing I am doing with my phone; staying on the ios 12 and not taking incremental updates unless it is ios 13
When I bought my Series 1, the first update actually improved my battery life.

If you are worried about it, you can always wait a few weeks to see what the reports are. Just keep in mind that with every new update like clockwork there will always be someone saying it killed their battery life. I tend to take those reports with a grain of salt unless it seems widespread.

iVegas

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
I replaced my launch day series 0 the day the Series 4 came out. I wore it every day from when I woke up to when I went to sleep. The battery lasted all day, every day up to it's retirement. Probably would have gone another year easily.

Last edited:

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
Having never owned an Apple Watch and now contemplating on getting an Apple Watch 4 Series. I am however curious about the life expectancy of such device and potential planned obsolescent, are the older models still upgradeable to the latest OS?

I just traded in my original 3.5 year old 42mm SS Apple Watch it was working great. Battery lasted all day but it was running slow and could no longer accept phone calls and it wasn’t eligible for Watch OS 5. I still have a 38mm SBSS it it works fine other than being slow.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My three year old Series 0 Watch refuses to die . . . . Even the battery life is unchanged. But I finally got a Series 3 in June.

I was pleasantly surprised at the longevity of the Series 0. I'm confident the Series 3 will last me for 3 years and also confident I'll want a newer model before then. :cool:

When the Apple Watch first launched, I was a bit of a fanatic, I actually owned four of them, and fortunately I never had any of the battery expanding issues, and they are all stainless models, but they really were well-made and I primarily only used it for fitness and notifications, which is all I could ask for. (Especially being I didn’t want to carry my iPhone Plus with me all the time.)

Reactions: artfossil

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
My series 0 worked pretty good except that subsequent updates slowed it down. When I upgraded to the Series 4 I gifted the Series 0 to a family member. Goes to show you how strong it was going.

I plan on holding my Apple Watches til Apple stops supporting the model. I plan to do that with all my Apple products going forward. It's getting to expensive to buy products every other year or even every three years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seems like the obviously question would be, has anyone successfully replaced the battery ?

For those who have replaced the battery on their own doing (If that is what you’re referring to), seemed to experience issues with the Force Touch not working properly or consistently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.