Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Just Google it. Some sites for example say laptops 2 years tops, others say it varies depending on use etc.
I doubt there exists any comprehensive single metric on the web for how long people expect to be able to use a laptop. Certainly no set of sources that all agree, and even if they all agreed I highly doubt it would be 8 years! That's a really long time in computing. We're back in the cruddy old pentium 4 days going back 8 years from today.

A laptop battery is virtually guaranteed to be completely shot after 8 years, even if ignoring all other possible issues (cooling fans breaking down, screen hinge wearing out, keyboard getting gunky, optical drive dying and so on.)

My dad got himself a HP laptop in...hm, 2010 I think. For like the past couple years he's been complaining how slow it has become of late. I've been telling him he's got to re-install windows on it to get rid of all the crapware pre-loaded onto it, bogging it down, but of course he didn't. So me and mum got him an iPad Air 2 instead this past christmas, but even that thing isn't going to last him 8 years!

If the Gold content is $1197.00 than we're looking at a potential $1699.97 Gold Apple watch.
You're an optimist. I like that! :)

I'm pretty sure there will be some sort of video presentation on monday, putting a LOT of emphasis on all the work and various processes that go into manufacturing and finishing the cases for the Watch, the precision casting, machining, polishing, surface treatments and whatnot, to justify the price tags of the more expensive versions. The gold watch will probably cost a bit more than $1700 I think, but it's good to be an optimist!

rjlawrencejr

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
LA/OC/IE
I guess we can blame the carriers and Apple for the new phone every two year cycle. I think it's hard to gague how long people will stick with the :apple: Watch before wanting a new one. Perhaps we will see special editions or designer editions annually. I definite could see some limited edition bands being introduced. I am also intrigued with the idea of smart bands with specialized or additional sensors.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Yeah, I think it's important to mention that Apple considers the Watch to be an "iconic" design, and, like other famous watches, I can imagine that they'll keep the case of the Watch relatively consistent in style over time. I'd also imagine that they'll offer an upgrade service every few years, allowing one to swap out the internals, and maybe the screen assembly, to bring it up to speed with the most current model (at least with the steel and gold version.)

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I don't know, but perhaps these will retain their value a little longer than something like the iPad

But there's the 'New and improved' Apple mania,

Which shouldn't be underestimated :D

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I believe it will be updated every year. I think the first gen won't be updated until the 2016 iPhone event, probably in Fall 2016.

I also think Apple will offer a trade in program for old watches, given you $150 towards a new watch for the Sport, maybe $300 for a SS and not sure for the Edition. The internals might be upgradable as well. I don't think the 2d gen is going to get slimmer, the battery will just get better.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Actually I will be really annoyed if they don't make a new model every year;)
I will hand down my watch to a family member just like my phone. These will not be obsolete, just as the iPhone 5 is not obsolete. You will be able to sell it for $200 next spring.

The stainless steel model will not hold it's value as well as the sport, depending on what they end up costing.

The gold watch I think will be 2500/3000 but if the gold content value is close enough to cost, say it has 1200 in gold value and Apple sells for $1999, I would consider that since I could sell it for probably 1300 or so and buy a new one next year.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Lifespan will probably be a few years at best. Newer more polished models released every 18 months
Keep in mind that when you buy a TV, Car or Cellphone you're putting out big bucks and a year later it's an old model. So an AppleWatch will be the same lasting several years but with newer models all the time

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Next time I tell someone something at work and they ask me how I know, I'll be sure to simply say "Just Google it", shrug my shoulders and walk away.

The PC industry back in the day was moving very fast. I know, I used to be a PC gamer. I'd spend $500 every 6 months upgrading my video card and new cpu/ram every 8 months just to keep up with new games.

Given how often people upgrade their electronic devices (could be anywhere from 1 day to 10 years. I can't provide you an exact figure) I'm curious to think what people have to say about the NEW product called the Apple watch.

Will 2016's Apple watch be so dramatically better/different that the 2015 model will be obsolete or will Apple take it slow and reserve the changes and give it to use every 2 years or so?

You could have chimed in with your thoughts. What did you do instead? "oh you can't give me sources for your figures? If not this discussion is void?". :rolleyes:

----------

Could you post links? The figures seem quite inaccurate.

Do you agree with the statements that Tom Merrit says on DTNS? If so, he is one of the sources. They had an entire podcast dedicated to the iPad, laptop and desktop PC and how the industry has slowed because people hold on their hardware longer because they don't need an upgrade.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I really see the upgrade cycle on the AppleWatch being more like that of a Playstation or Xbox (5+ years).

Certainly there may be a new device after a 2-3 years however I think the pace will be much slower than phones....

This is part of the strength of offloading a majority of the processing/heavy lifting/data/GPS to the phone. Phone upgrades may add significant functionality to the watch without the processor in the watch being significantly limiting. I could see waiting for a 50% increase in screen density or efficiency being needed before Apple feels compelled to release a new updated product.

It is actually a fairly exciting concept!

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I don't think they'll shackle themselves with an upgrade programme.

Apple Watch 2 will be thinner. I wouldn't be surprised if they engineered the first generation to be a little fat just to guarantee they have something to trim.

The straps will be compatible, though.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I don't plan to buy in until the AW has always on OLED display. I already have a FitBit Surge and am happy with it as a fitness tracker. However, I would like a regular watch with the capability of multiple faces. But the battery life/screen technology is not there yet.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Yes. Duh.
Do you & your people replace desktop Pcs every six months or something and thought that was the norm??

From where did you get all these figures?

I'm pretty sure that's all common knowledge...
Lol, do you really need scientific data backing up "in countries with 2 year cellphone contracts, people get new cellphones every 2 years"... seems like legit logic to me.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Yes. Duh.
Do you & your people replace desktop Pcs every six months or something and thought that was the norm??
I replace my computer every 2.5-3 years. 8 years seems like an awfully long time to me. Who are my people?

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I replace my computer every 2.5-3 years. 8 years seems like an awfully long time to me. Who are my people?

Try a Mac!
I got my 27" iMac in January of 2010.
It hasn't slowed down a bit, has always ran the latest OS & at over five years, still has at least several more years of no compromise performance, if I had to guess.

I don't know anything about your people, btw. Other than, I assume you have some? I know I have people. & none of them replace desktop computers as often as tablets, that's why to me I'd know that's odd (even if I personally did it)... by the behavior of the people around me. For you to not realize that 5-8 years is a real amount of time to use a pc I assume that not only you, but others around you have never done so... I was trying to wrap my head around it.
Lol, it was NOT a derogatory comment about other Chimera! =P

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Try a Mac!
I got my 27" iMac in January of 2010.
It hasn't slowed down a bit, has always ran the latest OS & at over five years, still has at least several more years of no compromise performance, if I had to guess.
I have a Mac. I know they're great, and I usually sell or give away my old one, and I know they're still doing well with their new owners. I just personally get a new one sooner than 8 years I guess. I just find technology to move too fast for that. But I can also understand the idea that you don't need to replace something that is still working properly.

I don't know anything about your people, btw. Other than, I assume you have some? I know I have people. & none of them replace desktop computers as often as tablets, that's why to me I'd know that's odd (even if I personally did it)... by the behavior of the people around me. For you to not realize that 5-8 years is a real amount of time to use a pc I assume that not only you, but others around you have never done so... I was trying to wrap my head around it.
Lol, it was NOT a derogatory comment about other Chimera! =P
Lol good, we Chimera are not to be mocked. I've had friends or family keep computers and phones for a long time, I just find tech to move way too fast for that. By the time a few years passes by, there's something new that I find would enhance my day to day life. In the case of my current Macbook, it was the retina display. I'm on it a lot, and I do a lot of reading and research on it, so a display that enhances that ability was a must-have. The next time that might happen for me is probably Skylake, which would put my computer at a little over 3 years old.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I have a Mac. I know they're great, and I usually sell or give away my old one, and I know they're still doing well with their new owners. I just personally get a new one sooner than 8 years I guess. I just find technology to move too fast for that. But I can also understand the idea that you don't need to replace something that is still working properly.

Lol good, we Chimera are not to be mocked. I've had friends or family keep computers and phones for a long time, I just find tech to move way too fast for that. By the time a few years passes by, there's something new that I find would enhance my day to day life. In the case of my current Macbook, it was the retina display. I'm on it a lot, and I do a lot of reading and research on it, so a display that enhances that ability was a must-have. The next time that might happen for me is probably Skylake, which would put my computer at a little over 3 years old.

I understand.
I'm a tech nut & work in the industry. I used to replace desktops more often, when I was into gaming. It was the advent of tablets & smartphones that changed my needs... I get a new iPhone & iPad each year at such a low TCO that it allows me to stretch out my $2,400 iMac purchases to every 8 years or so.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
The longer refresh cycle macs are on could make more sense for the watch. By that I mean the casing design stays for much longer, while the internals get an upgrade yearly(ish). It has been mentioned before but if apple does stick with this design for a few years perhaps they plan to sell "upgrades" so you can get the S1 in your edition swapped out for the newer version, whatever newer battery tech they use to squeeze a few more mah out of the space, and an updated sensor set. I read an article about the sensors being much larger than those found on other watches, maybe this is to leave room on the 1st gen for whatever sensors they add down the road.

I know, not very apple like. But neither is all the choice they are giving, and this would probably help to alleviate concerns by those buying the edition at whatever price.

Lots of people are saying it will be a "brick" in a few years but I don't see how that could be possible. Apple still intentionally supports the first gen iPod in iTunes, going on almost 15 years now. As long as an iPhone has Bluetooth/wifI there's no reason they wouldn't continue supporting older gen watches.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
Who are people that expect to use a computer for 8 years? 5 years is a bit of a stretch even. There are so many changes on a year by basis, I'd consider someone using an 8 year old computer a saint.

I'd consider using an apple watch for 3 years maybe. I had an iPad 2 for 2-3 years.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'm on a 3 year cycle with my computer, I can't imagine going much longer than that. Every Mac I have ever had has always "felt" old around that time, from a software perspective. (I am also very picky about speed.) The hardware is always solid though. My 8 year old MacBook Pro is running as a basic media server at my mom's place.

Tablet seems to be falling in to that cycle too, but for me it's probably on that cycle because I don't use the iPad all that much, so I upgrade it when it can't get an app I want.

Phone is 1 year cycle.

I think for me the watch will probably fall in 1-2 year depending on if Apple uses the "tick-tock" method (pun intended) I can stomach the yearly iPhone because of contracts, but laying down $400+ for a watch every year might be silly for the "s" version.

For a normal person I would double all those things, so Apple is probably targeting a 2-4 year cycle. However, the "early adopter" years its probably a much quicker cycle. I couldn't imagine skipping the iPhone upgrades for the first few years, the progression of the hardware was too quick. However, these days with the iPhone skipping the "s" version isn't a big deal. The hardware is just so much better. I think the watch will follow a similar path, for the first few years the next watch will be a "huge" upgrade, and once they get the speed and battery life at a acceptable range, the "s" version will be less impressive.

Deanster

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2005
It's impossible to imagine Apple Watch not getting annual updates, and the history of iDevices is that the first three years or so offer HUGE strides in capability. If you look at an iPhone 3GS or 4 compared to the original iPhone, it's just a whole new world.

By contrast, I could pretty easily go back to an iPhone 4 from my 6+, if required. It'd be a little sad to lose the new features, but it'd still do 95% of what I do now, and do so quite capably.

To me, the real question is how much Apple Watch will hold resale value... will I be able to do what I've done with iPhones and iPads, and upgrade annually at modest net costs, or will it be more like iPods, where the resale value doesn't really hold over time?

Same question applies looking at periods longer than a year - an iPhone 3GS is still a valuable piece of hardware today, worth real cash in the marketplace.

What will a 4-year old Apple Watch be worth?

Only time will tell, I guess.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I try only to upgrade when there's either a significant bump in the new product, or my old one is getting past it. The best way to do this is to avoid reading anything about new products!

I find this easier with laptops and desktops. I currently have a MacBook retina and I won't replace it until it's clearly old and tired. This is what I did with my last iMac.

I've updated from iPad to iPad mini retina because that was a clearly better product -- sharper display, smaller size.

I upgraded from iPhone 5S to iPhone 6+ because, again, it was a clearly better product -- and it allowed me to simplify things by getting rid of my iPad and iPhone and combining them into one machine.

How much better can the Apple Watch 2 be? OK, I know that's naive. But my expectations of the current watch are pretty modest -- I want an attractive watch face that keeps perfect time, that enables me to control my iPhone when I'm listening to music or podcasts, and that enables me to see who's messaged me or who's calling when my iPhone is in my pocket. I'm vaguely interested in the health stuff.

I'm not looking for a killer app or new features. Sure, the Apple Watch 2 will be slimmer and will have better battery life. If there's a decent resale market I may trade up. Or, if I'm loving the new watch, I may just try really hard not to read about Apple products for a couple of years or three.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.