Apple Watch Lte w/o fee

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Casey05, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Casey05 macrumors newbie

just wondering if anyone had any luck here. Tried to haggle with my provider on this to get the Apple Watch LTE activated without an additional 10$ recurring fee with no leeway so far. May seem silly but I’ve had success in dealing with them in my bill for other issues, similar to haggling with my cable company haha. I know it’s trivial but I would like the option if I need it but don’t feel like paying the additional costs. Plus I think it’s ridiculous that it’s an additional fee in the first place

2. TheMacApple macrumors regular

TheMacApple

Dunno but subscribed. Whenever they release the 5. I’m going LTE

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You would need to buy the watch outright with no contract.

4. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

That’s nothing to do with the additional LTE pairing charge. You always have to pay the additional monthly sum regardless of how you bought the watch.

5. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

For clarification, I’m with Verizon. They consider the $10 fee similar to a line access fee or fee for number sharing where the Watch is also provisioned its own number that can be called.

It doesn’t matter whether you bought your Watch outright from Apple, Verizon, or wherever vs financing for 6 months on Verizon’s Device Payment Plan. The $10 fee is for LTE service.

6. nepatriot macrumors newbie

nepatriot

Are you saying you want to activate cellular without paying the monthly cellular fee?

Like naturalstar above, I'm also with Verizon. To activate cellular with my AW the cost is $30 one-time activation, and $10 per month plus taxes. Nothing to do with the cost of the phone itself.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I misunderstood the question then. He wants to get service and not have to pay for it is what it sounds like.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I didn’t know haggling was a thing with carriers. They have set rate and fees, unless they make exceptions due to errors or something else, I don’t see how you be able to adjust your own monthly bill accordingly based on what you think.

9. willmtaylor, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

@Casey05 , It’s literally how carriers make money—by charging you for using their network.

You’re honestly wasting your time by asking/considering. It’ll never happen.

10. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

Yup that’s how I see it.

11. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

AT&T has some benefits they extend via certain employers (State Employees & maybe Higher Ed) in my state. Activation Fees are waived, at least on the phones and iPads I've purchased. The $10.00 monthly fee is still there. I'm hoping I don't get an activation fee on my new Apple Watch Gen. 4. I guess I will see when I get the bill.

12. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

13. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

I know it's unrelated but I feel like saying it anyway: $10 monthly fee for small amount of data I use on my Apple Watch is absolute bs. Should be half that

14. user1234 macrumors 6502a

user1234

I don't get why it has to cost $10 per month to basically share the plan you are already paying for with the watch. $5 is the upper threshold for when I would consider it, and $3 feels like a realistic number.

And the American carriers and their activation fees is just crazy to me. "You have to pay us to activate your device so we can make money off of you". I have never played a single activation fee in here Sweden. I have only once had a locked in contract but other than that I am free to move carriers, phones and whatever without any extra fees. Sharing a plan with an Apple Watch is still the approximate equivalent of US $10 though.

15. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Agree. Still amazed it is 10$ in Sweden. Here in Denmark it is 4.6$ (30kr) extra a month. No BS activation fees either.

16. keyeslol macrumors newbie

Activated a series 4 with no activation fee on att. $10 is nothing.

17. JWGold macrumors newbie

JWGold

I’m on AT&T. When I bought my iPad Pro, I decided to cancel the LTE service on my regular iPad. They talked me into keeping both by offering to cut my LTE fee in half from $10 a month to $5 a month on my regular iPad. It’s not free, but it is half of the normal fee. I’m actually kind of glad because now I have a spare Air II to leave at the office. Of course, I still pay $10 for the iPad Pro.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

one reason I never cared for the lte version I wouldnt use it much without a phone as I always have it on me and 10$ a month seemed too much. When I could put that towards a gym membership each month. 5$ max is what would make more people get the lte model. Thats the max id pay for service maybe 30 minutes a month.