Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Seb Hughes, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Seb Hughes macrumors member

Im considering getting the charging dock for the Watch but was wondering is it really worth it? Seems a lot of money for just a dock. Anybody here have one and can share their views on it?

2. marbla macrumors newbie

marbla

Take this with a grain of salt because I am waiting for my watch to arrive but I ordered the Spigen dock which is half the price even when you ad the cables.

3. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

For now, because I only have the Sport band, I'm fine with just the puck and cable. Lays flat on the shelf; easy and simple.

If I get a bracelet, I'll get the Apple dock. Packs flat for my laptop bag, soft surface to keep my SS nice, and comes with a long extra cable.

4. gigaguy, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

gigaguy macrumors 65816

It's pricey but high quality materials and build all around, it's surprisingly weighty ad solid but plush at the same time - a luxury item for what it does for sure.
    I wish there were a black color option. White is so 90s looking (it's an off white, kinda light cream color tho).

5. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

I have one and really like it. You can rotate the puck up so you can use the watch in Night Stand mode. Of course, there are cheaper options out there that achieve the same effect, but you know how this Apple stuff goes - their accessories just "work" with their products.

6. Cubbiemolly macrumors newbie

Cubbiemolly

Doesn't it have a built in puck and included lightening cable? Those alone make this more affordable. i was considering it because I would then be able to keep the charging puck, that came with the watch, in my laptop bag for work. Please let me know if my info on this is wrong.

Sarah

7. pcall1128 macrumors 6502a

pcall1128

I have the apple "UFO" charger as well, and I like it. It looks awesome IMO, works flawlessly for what I need it to do. One thing that I can say is it can handle any band on the watch as opposed to other stands that won't support it if you have a heavier band on it, i.e. Link bracelet.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It's also a chunky nugget unlike the half-inch thick Apple dock (wide, sure, but as flat as the watch).

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

You're right, you don't have to dedicate your existing puck to use it.

If you want, you'd only need to bring one Lightning cable, and unplug it from the dock when the watch battery is full, then use it to charge your phone.

10. Seb Hughes thread starter macrumors member

I ended up biting the bullet and went for the Apple charging dock. Its a nice accessory but I must admit it is very overpriced for what it is (doughnut with the magnetic charger). When I first put the watch on I got a message saying "This is an unsupported accessory" or something to that effect which was very weird so I took the watch off and put it back on and not had the message since. Reading reviews of the dock on Apple.com they were charging 65 pound last year and now its 79 pound which is annoying.

11. bacATapple macrumors regular

I made a charger out of the box that shipped with my SS. I really like it. Very easy to do.

12. Seb Hughes thread starter macrumors member

Before I got the dock I put it in the plastic box I got with my SS (very fancy box I must admit) but it involves bending the cable. You able to share a photo of your DIY charging dock?

13. bacATapple macrumors regular

14. Srbell67 macrumors regular

Has anyone bought one of these and then returned bc it isn't that worthwhile compared to the regular charger??

15. ddrulez macrumors regular

I use the Apple charger. I don't regret to buy it. It looks nice and it works great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Srbell67 macrumors regular

What did you do w the original charger?

17. Seb Hughes thread starter macrumors member

Mine just sits on the side but ill most likely use the cable that came with the watch when I'm traveling.

18. ddrulez macrumors regular

You have to use the original cable coming with the watch and insert it into the dock.

19. Seb Hughes thread starter macrumors member

The dock comes with a 2 meter lightning cable. The actual charger component is attached to the "doughnut", thus you don't need to use the cable that came with the watch.

20. Srbell67 macrumors regular

It comes w a 2mm cable

21. ddrulez macrumors regular

Oh you are right.
    Yeah some time passed by. I wonder where I have the cable ^.^;

I had a other dock before I got the Apple one and there you have to use the original cable.

22. Xeronex macrumors member

For people in the U.K. CEX are selling these for £35.

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Never mind, didn't see the additional posts.

Tapatackled.

24. lsh macrumors 6502

I'm happy with the Apple dock too although I might have considered the Elevation if it was an option then. I like the nightstand view and it folds up well for travel. I don't buckle my strap when docked and it's easy to use that way.

25. niijonodhg, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

niijonodhg macrumors regular

niijonodhg

I've recently migrated from a Motorola 360 2nd Gen to the Apple Watch Series 2, missed the type of stand you get with the Moto. Have gotten this for pretty cheap (sub-£10) and am pretty impressed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0127F1IC4

Here's a video of it in action: