Apple Watch Maps app Clarification Needed!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, May 19, 2016.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Can someone clarify how the maps app is supposed to work on the Apple Watch?

On my Apple Watch, if I open the app, and tap on 'Home' or 'Work', I get the tiny spinning circle in top right corner, for a few seconds but then it disappears and the app then doesn't do anything else?!

Also, if I click on 'Search' and either click on 'Recents' or 'Favourites', the app will list the category selected, and then I can tap on a selection. However, when I then click on the 'Directions....' to the selected location, the spinning circle again appears in the top right corner for a few seconds but then disappears, and the app doesn't do anything further?!
    :confused:

Additionally, I also noticed that when I am using the maps app on my watch, the maps app icon on my iPhone 6, then shows up on the lockscreen, in the bottom left corner. Am I supposed to be tapping this icon to open up maps on my phone, in order to get the maps to show directions on my watch, or perhaps the app on my watch, is just not working correctly?!

:confused:

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You should re-boot both devices and/or unpair and re-pair the AW to see if you get it to work again.

The app icon appearing on the lock screen in the bottom left corner is simply how Handoff works (if you have it enabled). When you're using an app on the AW, its icon shows up on iPhone and you swipe up on it when you want to switch from AW to iPhone. It's particularly useful for phone calls when you don't want to speak into the AW anymore and continue the conversation on iPhone.

3. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

..right, ok, cheers for that - will try the unpair and repair option to see how I get on. Will this delete all the canned messages and settings I have set up on the watch?

4. 3568358 macrumors 6502

When you select a destination on your watch it should show directions on your watch, i am unsure why this wont work. BUT- The little maps icon on your phone lock screen is handoff. Basically any activities you do on your watch or mac or iPad will show as a small icon on your phone so you can pick up anything you were doing on another devices right on your phone.

You were looking for directions, so if you wanna pick up what you were doing on your watch on your phone instead you can just slide up from there. This isa feature that you can disable in the settings app on your phone.
    --- Post Merged, May 19, 2016 ---
    unpairing will restore the watch i believe, and if you repair you have the option to restore from a back up. When your watch backs up it does save messages i believe, so you should be good there.

When restoring, the watch makes a back up automatically

5. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...perfect - cheers for that, appreciated. Will give this a go tonight.
    ;)

6. 3568358 macrumors 6502

let us know how it goes! love hearing from everyone!!

7. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

...well, did the 'Restore from Backup' option last night and it seems its cured my issue for now! Tapping the 'My Location' option from within the maps app on the watch, now shows my location, right down to street level - something the watch has never done for me!!!

All good - for now!!!

Thanks for the help.
    :)

8. 3568358 macrumors 6502