Apple Watch may hurt iPhone Sales

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Poochi, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

With the Watch, users don't need to interact with iPhone as much as before.

Do you think Apple Watch would have a negative impact to iPhone sales going forward by prolonging the upgrade cycle?

Think outside of US and situations where iPhones are not subsidized.

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

An iPhone is necessary for the AW, so not for this generation.

Until they add cellular capability.

3. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

A 42mm screen will never replace my iPhone 6+

4. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

True. But I am thinking more along the line of, taking you for example, don't need to nor have the incentive to upgrade to iPhone 6S+

----------

What if you already have a compatible iPhone, say iPhone 6/6+? Would people who normally upgrade yearly/bi-yearly stop upgrading as frequently because they interact with Apple Watch more?

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If anything, they've been incredibly clever with the timing.

Notice how it's been launched exactly half way between iPhone launches? I probably couldn't justify buying a new iPhone and a new Apple Watch in September, but given how they're 6 months apart, it makes people more likely to upgrade both.

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I won't only because I have a 2 year contract before I can upgrade. I will get the iPhone 7+ though#

7. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

i agree with what you are trying to get at. I will have to consider what to upgrade every year now as I tend to always get the newest iPhone. My watch has actually kept me from taking my phone out a lot over the last few days. I only plan on updating either the watch or the phone 1 time a year and I don't think there will be a yearly watch....i dunno

8. g.t. rags macrumors regular

my mind has been blown

lol

9. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I would be more inclined to upgrade both if Apples bundles Watch with the iPhone!

I haven't skip an iPhone upgrade since the beginning... but buying this Watch and may result in less interaction with my phone makes me think, for the first time ever, that I may actually skip a generation or two of iPhone upgrades (like how I skip iPad upgrade when they kept the same internal for the mini and just add a stupid Touch ID)

10. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I was thinking about this last night. I'm an annual iPhone upgrader. I love having whatever the newest tech is and the way that Apple enhances the user experience with each new phone.

However, last night I was hard pressed to think of something they could add to the 6S/+ that would make me HAVE to upgrade. Force touch? Not a huge deal, IMO. 2 GB of RAM would be the most attractive upgrade to me, but if I'm using the phone less because of the watch, then maybe I'll just wait for the 7.

I guess it just depends on what killer feature they're able to add (or IF they're able to add a killer feature I should say).

11. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

The "killer" feature that I wanted the most, is ironically, battery life.

If Apple could make iPhone have a 100 hours of battery life for heavy usage... I would upgrade in a blink.

Next on my wish list is a true "unibody constructed" WATERPROOF phone with no gaps for water to enter. (and using induction charger for the phone too)

If 6S/7 translates to "faster processor" that I really can't feel the difference in real world usage, a "better camera" that I can't really tell the difference, a force touch that I may not care about, or another 0.5mm shaved off the thickness... I may actually skip the upgrade for the first time.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

The watch is nice, but it won't hold a candle against the iPhone. Now Apple watch against other smart watches is the exact opposite. They don't hold a candle against the apple watch. Galaxy gear what?

13. wdfly macrumors regular

Id say the apple watch might prompt me to buy a 6+s to replace my 6 since I hope to be using the phone itself less by interacting with the watch.

14. whatos macrumors 6502a

I think the Apple Watch won't impact iPhone sales to enthusiasts here.

But the general public has little or no incentive to upgrade their iPhone. I know lots of women that won't bother because they're very happy and comfortable with their current iPhone. That holds true even if they don't buy an Apple Watch, which currently most told me they aren't interested in the watch.

I sure hope Apple can get women interested in the watch. That market segment is very important. It'll make a very positive impact on the success of the watch. If women don't embrace it, watch sales will be anything but spectacular.

15. lchlch macrumors 6502a

I don't think that they can increase battery life anytime soon as battery tech has been stalling for a long time. Increasing the thickness of the iPhone 6 is a terrible idea as it is wider.

Im thinking the opposite, that is the watch will increase the sales of iPhones. Because people interested in the apple watch will need to have an iPhone.

16. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

I would bet they start selling them as a pair soon, so probably not.

17. Poochi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Poochi

That could be true eventually.

Right now I can't find anyone I know to be on the Watch bandwagon together.

Hopefully that will change.

18. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Well yeah, if Apple revealed the 6S has 100 hours of screen on time in the same form factor as the 6, I'd upgrade immediately as well, but the chances of that are nil. Waterproofing isn't a huge deal to me.

19. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It can be for some people. For me new iPhone is still very tempting even though I have a Watch.

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

when it c0mes between buying a new iPhone and a new Apple Watch I feel most people will choose the phone.

In fact I feel once the next round of hype for the iPhone happens the AW will start becoming forgotten.

21. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

No, not at all. If anything, people will not update their watch as often. You can't replace the phone experience on your wrist, only supplement it. The phone is what's key - you'll still use the phone more than the watch.