Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Firstly of all sorry if this has been asked before.

Now on to the question - I slather myself with moisturizer specially during the winter season. I do live in WI btw. Does the lotion harm the watch in any way?

I typically clean it with a damp soft cloth once a day when I take of for charging.

This is my first AW, I had a Fitbit for about 3 months of Summer before this, so pretty inexperienced with dos and don’ts of wearables.

Thanks much for your help.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
It does not. The composite back (the round sensor area) of the non-LTE series 3 or series 1 is plastic and BUG SPRAY will etch it, but not moisturizer. You can use plastic polish on it if it gets scratched. The ceramic back of the LTE watches doesn't have issues at all. The aluminum, glass, steel, sapphire, and ceramic materials of the case and screen are unaffected by any of this.

Reactions: charlyee

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
It does not. The composite back (the round sensor area) of the non-LTE series 3 or series 1 is plastic and BUG SPRAY will etch it, but not moisturizer. You can use plastic polish on it if it gets scratched. The ceramic back of the LTE watches doesn't have issues at all. The aluminum, glass, steel, sapphire, and ceramic materials of the case and screen are unaffected by any of this.

Great, thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I have the GPS only version in silver, hence a plastic back, glad it won’t be affected.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It does not. The composite back (the round sensor area) of the non-LTE series 3 or series 1 is plastic and BUG SPRAY will etch it, but not moisturizer. The aluminum, glass, steel, sapphire, and ceramic materials of the case and screen are unaffected by any of this.

That's not exactly accurate. It's not necessarily about moisturizer scratching the Apple Watch, but other factors that can affect the Watch with the use of other substances that can compromise the water seals. The moisturizer can affect the seals and membranes of the Apple Watch itself. It's recommended by Apple not to do so. See below posted information from Apple.

Great, thank you for your prompt reply. Yes I have the GPS only version in silver, hence a plastic back, glad it won’t be affected.

Keep in mind, Apple does not recommend the use of lotions, soaps, etc exposed to the Apple Watch. I'm Not saying you would experience any damage, but it could potentially void your warranty if something were to happen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522

"We recommend not exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes. Apple Watch should be cleaned with fresh water and dried with a lint free-cloth if it comes in contact with anything other than fresh water."

• Exposing Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Interesting I haven’t seen that from Apple. For what’s its worth I showered with an Apple Watch daily (and always use a basic moisturizer) and never had an issue. Also many other water proof watches over the years and no issue either.
[doublepost=1512673805][/doublepost]

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Interesting I haven’t seen that from Apple. For what’s its worth I showered with an Apple Watch daily (and always use a basic moisturizer) and never had an issue. Also many other water proof watches over the years and no issue either.

Those are Apples recommendations obviously due to warranty related concerns. It doesn't necessarily mean that you will experience a failure of any sort, but that's the risk you take contrary to what they recommend. Some members have showered with their watches and have had failures with the water resistance and others have not, every watch may vary.

Also, there are no waterproof watches, there is only water resistant. The Federal Trade Commission does not allow the term "Waterproof" to be used by any watch manufacturer in the United States. So there is no such thing.

https://beckertime.com/blog/why-there-are-not-any-waterproof-watches/

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks canyonblue737 and Relentless Power.

That’s a ton of don’ts, but it’s good to know what Apple’s policy is on it. I guess my only vice among all of them is the moisturizer and I can’t do without so I will try to use it sparingly under the watch and wait for it to get somewhat absorbed.

Reactions: 44267547

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
My ex used to use a shimmery moisturizer that contained some kind of mud/sand. I never tested it, but I imagine it’s possible that the shiny particles in some moisturizers might be abrasive to the watch?

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I currently don’t sleep with my Watch on, so in the morning when do full body applications, it’s not on me. As I apply during the day, I remove the Watch if I want to cover that area or avoid any excess or messiness. After I’ve rubbed my lotion/moisturizer in, I slip the watch back on.

As of now, I don’t shower with my Watch, but I do wear it when I was dishes or do yard work. I basically treat it as I have always treated my other watches. I don’t think it’s impervious to all, but I don’t baby it either.

Right now, I’m more concerned with holiday glitter because that stuff gets every. where!

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
My Watch 0 is still in perfect condition and I’ve used my a lot of moisturizer and sun screen over the past 2 and a half years. Just use common sense. Don’t dunk it in moisturizer or anything else except water. If you "slather" moisturizer, let it absorb, then put on your watch. (No use wasting moisturizer by having excess just sitting on your skin.)

I wash my Watch and band under running water as needed, sometimes with a bit of soap or detergent on the band and dry with a lint free cloth.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Don’t dunk it in moisturizer or anything else except water. If you "slather" moisturizer, let it absorb, then put on your watch. (No use wasting moisturizer by having excess just sitting on your skin.)

I wash my Watch and band under running water as needed, sometimes with a bit of soap or detergent on the band and dry with a lint free cloth.
Good advice, Thanks

Reactions: artfossil

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Firstly of all sorry if this has been asked before.

Now on to the question - I slather myself with moisturizer specially during the winter season. I do live in WI btw. Does the lotion harm the watch in any way?

I typically clean it with a damp soft cloth once a day when I take of for charging.

This is my first AW, I had a Fitbit for about 3 months of Summer before this, so pretty inexperienced with dos and don’ts of wearables.

Thanks much for your help.
I also line in NW Wisconsin and occasionally use some lotion on my arms and we can get pretty dry this time of year. Heavy lotion would not be recommended. Make sure it absorbs and you should be good, but I saw some good advice here as well.

I’ve never had a problem in 2+ years with some lotion on my arms in the winter and apple watches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.