Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
So my wife has the Series 4, and I have a Series 5. In the past week or so, it's been amazingly hard for her to close the move ring. It didn't used to be a problem. We did a reset and repair and went on a walk yesterday after she had already done a 1 mile walk earlier in the day.

We set out, both with watches and phones. We did over 3 miles and then compared notes. I was at least 200 calories ahead of her in the move ring, but oddly her "flights" number was 5x mine, though our elevation change showed exactly the same.

Something says to me an accelerometer in her watch has gone south, but I don't think that's how flights is calculated...

I just know that it's been underestimating her actual moving compared to what my watch says I am doing, and to what her watch *was* saying a week or two ago.

Ideas?

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I got a rocking chair and ever since, my Exercise ring has been stiffer - barely moving if I don't start an actual workout on the Workout app.

Maybe something similar going on? Is there any stationary "moving activity" she does that involves repetitive movements? Knitting, sign language, maybe even typing?

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I got a rocking chair and ever since, my Exercise ring has been stiffer
?
Yes, and it is about the same with "flights". They usually are recorded the correct way - usually.
I can clean the whole apartment, running around with the vacuum cleaner for half an hour and getting 2 minutes of movement and exercises. I can walk to the groceries store, get some food and having done my exercices.

So: usually it works, but not always.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, I think it constantly looks for a baseline of movement vs. heart rate and bases non-workout Exercise minutes based on that, because walking now barely records any Exercise minutes for me. Again, purely my hypothesis, but I think it detects me moving on my rocking chair with a low heartbeat and it estimates that this movement is no longer making my heart rate increase, so therefore it's not exercise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.