Apple watch music storage

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by PayamFr, May 22, 2015.

1. PayamFr macrumors member

Hey just got my Apple Watch today. I was checking out the music app and played a couple songs, but I have not stored any music on the watch itself.

Yet for some reason, when I go to my usage for my watch, it's saying that the music app has already taken up around 73mb of space. How can that be since I haven't stored any playlists or songs on the music app? Is this a bug?

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Mine says 78.6MB but under the "About" section for number of songs it says zero. I've not uploaded any songs to my watch as I always have my phone anyway and just listen to them on that.

3. ZoeLou macrumors member

Maybe that amount is for the music app itself? Like the code that's there so it knows how to store any music you put on there. Or something like that that makes a bit more sense than what I just said...

4. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Nope, that's definitely not it.

I have no music stored on my iPhone, nor my Apple Watch. When I go into the Watch app and look at Usage, my highest one is Contacts at 9.3 MB... While Music is at the very bottom, and actually says "No data" for the size, heh.

5. PayamFr thread starter macrumors member

Great...guess I'll be making a trip to the Apple Store..

6. BradDylan macrumors member

Have you streamed music? Could it be misc. data stored on watch for efficiancy? If it is that then that data won't get in the way with anything you do as it would be prioritized lower then say apps, photos, or music you put on the watch.

I wouldn't go to the Apple store at best they will be able to explain what it is. I mean what else are they going to do?

7. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

They will probably just tell you to reset it or something. If anything, if you really can't figure it out, I'd try that before heading to the store.

8. PayamFr thread starter macrumors member

I've done a hard reset and erased all content and settings and set up the watch as new and it still 71.5 MB of music is being taken up. I haven't even opened the music app on the watch yet.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Hmm that is weird. What about in the Apple Watch app on your iPhone... What does it say when you select Music? Mine has "Show in Glances" turned off, Synced Playlist set to None, and 1.0 GB playlist limit. Then in Usage it still says No Data. I've also never opened the Music app on the watch.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I am pretty sure that the amount of data it showing is the program itself. My watch shows the same amount of data being used and I have no songs either or of ever played any via the watch.

Your perceived problem is not really a defect it's just how it works. Are you already short on memory so that you're having to watch it closely, I bet not! Try to just relax and enjoy your new watch.