Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattX123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
I really dont get why Apple offers the Now Playing App parallel to the Music App. In my opinion this makes no sense, but I could live with that when there would not be one little difference which almost drives me crazy each time. Out of Now Playing it is not possible to choose another track out of a playlist from the watch so I have to switch to the Music app and choose there the song I want to listen via the three lines on the bottom left. This is very inconvenient in particular cause during sport activities when you swipe to the right from the Workout app there you find the Now Playing app and not the Music app. Does anyone know how to change this?

Another annoying issue from the Music app is that after you finished the last song of a playlist the list starts from the beginning automaticly. Then it is not possible to skip back to the last song of your list. If you want to listen this song again you have to skip forward through the complete list. Why does the rotation of the list is not work in both direction? Very inconvenient as well.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali
Now Playing = media that is playing (Songs from various apps Spotify, Music app, Soundcloud etc.), Video like Youtube or Bell Fibe (Fibre Op cable TV service), Podcast, Videos playing in a browser on your phone like Chrome or Safari

Music app = Music you have sync'd to your Apple Watch

watchOS 6 will literally fix all of your concerns you've posted about Music vs Now Playing

Last edited:

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Now Playing is generic and works with any app outputting sound.

Music app is specific to music and gives you functionality exclusive to the Music app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.