Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced an Apple Pay donation program and a new Activity Challenge on the Apple Watch in support of U.S. national parks.

apple-watch-activity-challenge-national-parks.jpg

From August 24 through August 31, Apple said it will donate $1 to the National Park Foundation, the official charity of the U.S. National Park Service, for every purchase made with Apple Pay at any Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app for iPhone and iPad in the United States.

Proceeds will support the National Park Foundation's mission to protect national parks through projects like habitat restoration and historic preservation, and support programs like Open OutDoors for Kids, according to Apple.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
America's national parks are treasures everyone should experience, and we're proud to support them again this month by donating a dollar for every purchase made with Apple Pay at one of our stores. These awe-inspiring places are our national inheritance, and Apple is doing our part to pass them on to future generations -- just as extraordinary, beautiful and wild as we found them.
On September 1, Apple Watch users around the world who complete a walk, run, or wheelchair workout of 50 minutes of more will earn an Activity app award and animated iMessage stickers, inspired by national parks. The challenge pays homage to Redwood National Park's 50th anniversary celebration this year.

The App Store will also highlight a collection of some of the best apps to help users easily navigate and explore U.S. national parks.

Apple supported U.S. national parks in these same ways in July 2017.

Article Link: Apple Supports National Parks With Apple Watch Activity Challenge and Apple Pay Donations

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I thought they would have more of these activity challenges. I think they had one in February and then the one for Earth Day. Would make sense to have one a month or something.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wow - how generous. If you buy any Apple product, which range in price from $20 charging cables where they likely make $18 profit to $15K computers where they likely make $12K profit, they'll donate a whole $1.

This week only. Oh, and only if you use Apple Pay, because they really want to get you using that.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I thought they would have more of these activity challenges. I think they had one in February and then the one for Earth Day. Would make sense to have one a month or something.

Like a WWE PPV, only instead of being a slob on the couch, you get out and do stuff.

...I'm a slob on the couch, btw.

Reactions: bbednarz

csnwbd2251

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Wow - how generous. If you buy any Apple product, which range in price from $20 charging cables where they likely make $18 profit to $15K computers where they likely make $12K profit, they'll donate a whole $1.

This week only. Oh, and only if you use Apple Pay, because they really want to get you using that.

My first thought exactly! He has no problem donating $5 million to other charities though...

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014

They are a company that exists to make money.

Exactly what was your point?

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I love Apple but this incentive falls so far from the mark.

They should’ve offered $1 for any Apple Pay transaction anywhere, including stores. Then this would’ve been an incentive for people to break out their Apple Pay when they pay for groceries and encourage them to learn more about how to use it if they know they’re donating to a worthy cause without having to buy an Apple product.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I love Apple but this incentive falls so far from the mark.

They should’ve offered $1 for any Apple Pay transaction anywhere, including stores. Then this would’ve been an incentive for people to break out their Apple Pay when they pay for groceries and encourage them to learn more about how to use it if they know they’re donating to a worthy cause without having to buy an Apple product.

So if someone buys a drink at a store for $1, and Apple gets 0.2% of the cost in credit card transaction fee rebate from the bank, they should give a dollar? Multiplied by the installed iPhone base from the iPhone 6 to the X? For a week?

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
So if someone buys a drink at a store for $1, and Apple gets 0.2% of the cost in credit card transaction fee rebate from the bank, they should give a dollar? Multiplied by the installed iPhone base from the iPhone 6 to the X? For a week?

Well maybe $10 or $20 would make sense but you get what I mean.

Samsung has a points return where eventually Samsung pay turns into items you can buy online with your points . That’s an incentive.

Reactions: groadyho

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

I look forward to hearing how much you donated. Tim Cook donated $5 million to charity the other day and people bitched and moaned about how it wasn't enough and that they didn't disclose which charities were donated to. If there are 500,000 transactions made that is $500,000 more the charity will have. I don't see how that can be spun as a negative.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Tim Cook donated $5 million to charity

Yes, but how much did it save him in taxes? Sure, it's great he donated 5 million, way more than I ever could, but every time I see things like this it ends up being some huge benefit in taxes to the giver, to the point where it was something they were required to do to keep more money than to pay it out in taxes.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I love parks so this is great. I do the fetish on "restoration" is a little funny such natural areas have no "true" form (what are we restoring them to). The American Indians used to burn whole forests so they could chase buffalo but most of those areas are being replaced by trees now. Things change, there is no correct state for nature, but I do love hiking, biking, and camping in the parks and hope they continue to thrive.

I like when they do specialty badges. They need to do more and up their game with the activity app.

Also people giving Tim Cook a hard time for donating 5 million is the height of pettiness and envy.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Yes, but how much did it save him in taxes? Sure, it's great he donated 5 million, way more than I ever could, but every time I see things like this it ends up being some huge benefit in taxes to the giver, to the point where it was something they were required to do to keep more money than to pay it out in taxes.
So are you saying it would have been better had he not donated money to charity? I don't really see the argument you are making here. I guess everyone should stop giving to charity? Because he receives some tax benefits for donating he should not donate money? I promise you the charities that are receiving this money don't care one iota about the tax benefits he receives.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
So are you saying it would have been better had he not donated money to charity? I don't really see the argument you are making here. I guess everyone should stop giving to charity? Because he receives some tax benefits for donating he should not donate money? I promise you he charities that are receiving this money don't care one iota about the tax benefits he receives.

My issue is with the announcement and the praise these extremely wealthy individuals receive for doing something that results in a tax break for them.

Yes, it is good for the charity but in many cases it's a "we had to" rather than "we did it because we simply wanted to".

Edit: Not to mention, why is it necessary to let everyone know? In comparison it's probably like me donating $100 or so, you don't see me going around announcing it to everyone about how amazing I am. The point is not that he donated, I hope people continue to for any reason they have. My point is, stop waving it around for everyone to see how great you are.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA

Considering the product volume they sell. I’m sure it will add up. Not to mention they don’t have to donate anything. By the way how much did you give?

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
My issue is with the announcement and the praise these extremely wealthy individuals receive for doing something that results in a tax break for them.

Yes, it is good for the charity but in many cases it's a "we had to" rather than "we did it because we simply wanted to".

Edit: Not to mention, why is it necessary to let everyone know? In comparison it's probably like me donating $100 or so, you don't see me going around announcing it to everyone about how amazing I am. The point is not that he donated, I hope people continue to for any reason they have. My point is, stop waving it around for everyone to see how great you are.
So they gave money, but they didn't do it the "right" way? Did Tim Cook make an announcement about his donation or was it published by Macrumors? I can't find anything from Tim Cook directly about his donation. It makes sense that Apple is advertising their giving to charity. The more people that know about it, the higher chance of them using Apple Pay to make their purchase which gets the charity more money.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
So they gave money, but they didn't do it the "right" way? Did Tim Cook make an announcement about his donation or was it published by Macrumors? I can't find anything from Tim Cook directly about his donation. It makes sense that Apple is advertising their giving to charity. The more people that know about it, the higher chance of them using Apple Pay to make their purchase which gets the charity more money.

Where would MacRumors get that data if it wasn't released by Cook or someone he gave authority to do so? Either way, it's obvious we don't see eye to eye on that and that's fine. No reason to sit here and drag it out further, it really isn't that important anyway.

Of course Apple advertising their giving would be expected, it will drive more sales and therefore be a larger donation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.