Apple Watch Network Connectivity (outside BT Range)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iMacRW, Jun 29, 2015.

1. iMacRW macrumors member

iMacRW

I have been using my Apple Watch Sport 42, and have noticed that it does not have very good range outside of the BT range of my iPhone. I was under the impression that when you leave BT range of your phone, as long as your watch and iphone are connected to the same network, you will stay connected.

However, I called Apple yesterday to get technical support on the poor range of the watch and the agent said that the Apple Watch only connects to the phone via BT... and that connectivity through my apple Time Capsule would be a great feature and I should suggest it?! ( I feel she's not up to speed on Apple Watch yet?, am I right?)

Anywho, I googled for an answer and found that it sometimes has to do with 5GHz vs. 2.5GHz networks, and you need to set separate network names for both, and connect to each one after forgetting them on your iphone. Then the watch will know how to connect to the 2.5GHz since this is the only one supported. I tried this, and still find that the range of the watch is very limited <30 feet from phone. Is anyone getting better range than this using your home "remembered" network? I figured it should be about the same range as an iPad or Iphone on the home network.

2. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Googling that question gets about 33' tops per design BUT 20 to 25' most say due to walls etc.