Apple Watch network UK?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Jaymd1970, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Jaymd1970 macrumors member

Jaymd1970

Someone out there may be able to help me with this?
    I know the AW series 3 was on EE onlylast year and know the series 4 is on EE/Vodafone this year. Vodafone are advertising that the AW series 3 and 4 can be connected to their network on there website now.
    Does that mean any AW3 can connect to Vodafone even one that was connected to EE?
    If so does that asleep mean that in the future an AW cellular would be able to connect to any network providing that they have paid Apple the product license to do so. I.e. O2
    Hope this makes sense and someone can answer this.

2. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Thats a good question. The sim inside the apple watch is unlocked but not sure what happens and if the sim locks in to the first carrier that activates it. If you had a S3 ion EE, might be best to give Vodafone a call and give them the end number and and see if they can actually connect to it

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

If you’ve bought the watch from EE & paying monthly then you won’t be able to switch as the device will stay locked on the network, same as a phone. Once you’ve paid off you should be able to get them unlocked.

I directly bought my phone and watch from apple and EE just activated the extra package and that’s it. I can stop it at any time.

4. Jaymd1970 thread starter macrumors member

Jaymd1970

I haven’t brought a cellular AW as I’m on Tesco and lm very happy with the service so won’t switch.
    I’m just thinking hypothetically if it was possible, if the AW was purchased off contract and unlocked.
    Thinking if next year more carriers come to the table then would all the cellular series work?
    Is it just a case of activating the esim chip inside?

5. akash.nu, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yes. As long as the carrier has deal with apple, they’re able to generate QR codes and distribute and when you scan that, iOS associates the device with a specific network. That’s it.

6. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68010

KarimLeVallois

You may have a long wait as O2 (Tesco mobile use their network) have no plans to support the Apple Watch as they haven't got the infrastructure to support shared numbers.

7. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Not to mention O2 will have first dibs on the system first for x number of years before allowing giffgaff/Tesco/etc. to have it. And when O2 does allow the virtuals to have it, it's up to the virtuals to add it to their network.