Apple Watch = Non-Stop Work Emails

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by loon3y, Jan 7, 2016.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

Its great to not miss any work emails, but wow its just never ending.

I'm not going to turn it off incase of urgent emails, but wow its great but it drives me crazy at times.

Def great if some one sends an email again correcting something before you start working on it.

I had mine since almost release, went to Day Clubs (Pool Club) in vegas, Beach raves in atlantic city, snowboarding, constant traveling, many weekends of binge drinking, and everyday wear.

Its holding up pretty well.

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

Too bad you can't setup do not disturb so you stop getting email alerts from certain accounts at set hours

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have found that the best part of the AW is trimming down the notifications I let through to only the most important stuff. Email is no longer considered a real-time communication system, so no email on my watch.

If you have to have email, I'd use a program like Outlook or Inbox that aggressively prioritizes your email so you only get notified of the truly important stuff.

4. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

5. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I set my AW up to display only emails from my VIPs. Cuts down the extraneous stuff tremendously.

6. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

This. I highly recommend you go through your notification options to just have the important/time-critical notifications shown on your watch. That includes designating VIPs and only having those emails notify on your watch.

The advantage of this extra step is that, when you get any notification, you'll know right away whether it's time critical. If you get a wrist tap, it likely is. If you feel a vibration in your pocket, it isn't.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's why you customize the mail settings (rather than mirror the iPhone) or use VIPs.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I have my watch only buzz me for emails from my VIP list. That way I know if my wrist buzzes for an email it's going to be something I need to look at. The rest can wait until I have time.

It's been great for cutting through the noise of endless emails.

9. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

VIP, VIP, VIP, VIP, and everything else off other than VIP.

10. Roller macrumors 68020

I do this too. With my phone, I sometimes miss emails from key people. That rarely happens with the watch.

11. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

realtime for personal, lol i don't think i ever sent an email to anyone for personal reasons in my life, maybe when i was 10.

But for work, omg....

how do i (low key some a link) where i can group my outlook mails. i mean. literally I'm swamped. I might seem lazy right now to even look for it, but its 1:04 am and I'm just too exhausted to set up my fantasy line up.

if there is any good soul with a good outlook grouping link. hear my plead .

edit: good night :*(

12. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Sounds like you need a new job, not new watch. :)

Just use iPhone to set/remove VIP by click on name of person in email title of Apple iOS email app.
    Remember to disable all other email notification from all account other than VIP. And yes, VIP could set in iPhone for any account in Apple iOS mail app.

Personally, I found AW email notification really is to notified me my VIP has email for me in iPhone/iPad/Mac for me to read. And subject help me determine should I read it now or later.

Reading email on AW just does not work well, at least for me without magnified glasses, and lots of my email is pages long AW won't show anyway.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Maybe it's not possible for you, but depending on the situation I might tell people this: "If you have something urgent, don't send it in an email. It's not 2002 anymore. Call me or send me a text if it's urgent. I get 500 emails per day. I am not going to drop everything and read every email the second I get it. I will get to them as soon as I can. But it may not be good enough in an emergency."

I'm hardly an important person and my work email is so cluttered. Email has become this de facto dumping ground for barely technically literate people in jobs to say they notified you of something. In most cases, it's good enough and the proper channel. But when you get on a group distribution list and end up with dozens of emails that won't affect what you do that day, it gets annoying. We also get solicitations since it's a newspaper, and that bugs me since I don't make any decisions on what runs. Now I'm getting something about daily that's written in Arabic. I do not read or speak Arabic. But now it's a thing I get.

So thankfully I don't get work emails on my AW. But I do let people know they can text or call me if something comes up. I obviously always have my watch on, and my phone isn't far away.

On tomorrow's episode, we'll talk about personal email glut because every site you sign up for an account on wants you to BUY THIS NEW THING NOW NOW NOW.

14. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

My solution was just to quit my job. Now I'm a beach bum with an Apple Watch. :)

15. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

It depends of course if you really only want to see email from specific folks but I found setting Banners to only appear for my VIP list was a great way of filtering the mail notification :)

16. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Banner on AW?
    How do you get banner to show on AW?

17. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

No, edit the notification settings for mail on the phone. Having a banner enabled on a notification is the thing that causes it to go to the watch.

18. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

So alert instead of banner will not push notification to AW?

19. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

So I have mine set up to do Badges and Sounds for my email accounts then for VIP I have Badges, Sounds and Banners. It's a nice way of doing it because that way you don't get spam on any account alerting you :)

20. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

I need to get the VIP thing set up. I haven't done it yet. But I don't have work going to watch and I also have a junk and shopping or commercial facing email account that doesn't go to iPhone Mail or the phone. So I don't get that many emails to my personal accounts. But I could set this up and get even less.

Maybe I will set up work email and make my direct boss a VIP. Hmm.

21. cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

I let that GOOD app send me notifications for work. 5 minutes later turned it off lol

22. Roller macrumors 68020

The VIP approach is helpful as long as you're very selective about who you make a VIP. I have three people as VIPs because when they send me email, which happens only a few times a day on average, it's something I need to know about and act on quickly.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you don't want to deal with VIPs, you can simply turn work email off and personal email on for pushing alerts to the AW instead of mirroring the iPhone.

24. Coffee50 macrumors regular

Do you know if email notifications work for gmail? I've set my notifications for VIP only, but I never get anything.

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Notifications work with my only gmail account.

26. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I think there's a general understanding in the business world that e-mail is for non-urgent stuff. It it's that important and you didn't make the effort to call, that's on you.

When I had a job that provided iPhones I routed all my personal e-mail through the Yahoo mail app and all my work e-mail through the Apple Mail App. Then I shut off notifications for the Apple Mail App so I only got notified about e-mail to my private account.