Apple Watch not connecting to Cloud Public Wifi

mitchellsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Hi All

I have an apple watch 3. At my work and gym I was able to connect to the cloud public wifi a couple of weeks ago. Now what ever I do, un pair iphone, reset network settings it wont connect to the wifi anymore.

Has anyone else had this issue with there apple watch?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It doesn't support networks that require you to log in or accept terms and conditions, like The Cloud does.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Is it not linked to having the The cloud app installed?

Some of these apps install a profile that automatically signs in to these networks (will BT’s does and I tend to use that more than the cloud)

I’m wondering if the watch can bypass the login via the profile.

Reactions: Brookzy

mitchellsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Is it not linked to having the The cloud app installed?

Some of these apps install a profile that automatically signs in to these networks (will BT’s does and I tend to use that more than the cloud)

I’m wondering if the watch can bypass the login via the profile.
Ive installed the login profile on my iphone hoping this would work, my iphone now never prompts me to the login page and just goes straight to the web pages etc...But still Apple watch does automatically connect, so frustrating!

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Mine has never connected to the cloud, annoying as my work has cloud and the watch just won't connect at all

Ive installed the login profile on my iphone hoping this would work, my iphone now never prompts me to the login page and just goes straight to the web pages etc...But still Apple watch does automatically connect, so frustrating!

verdejt

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
Central Florida
The Apple Watch only connects to 2.4 Ghz networks not the 5 Ghz networks. Your iPhone has had to have connected to it before. From what I'm finding it has to be the last WiFi network your iPhone connected to. Which is new to WOS4, in WOS3 it only had to be in my past connected WiFi networks.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
The Apple Watch only connects to 2.4 Ghz networks not the 5 Ghz networks. Your iPhone has had to have connected to it before. From what I'm finding it has to be the last WiFi network your iPhone connected to. Which is new to WOS4, in WOS3 it only had to be in my past connected WiFi networks.
if that's true then this makes it almost useless. If I leave my phone at home and then go to work with just my watch, then surely the last wifi the phone was connected to was my home network and the watch wont connect to my work network??

Or if I was at a bar last night, on their wifi, and then went to work this morning, the last wifi maybe have been the bar, but I'm at work. what good is that??

Can anyone prove this is true?

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
The 5Ghz bit is true, but the rest isn't for me, any wifi I've connected to from my phone my watch connects to, I mix between 3 different wifi SSID's on a daily basis without my phone and it swaps between them fine

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It does not on the current public release of watchOS 4 or 4.0.1. The beta's for watchOS 4.1 have included the SSID of the Wi-Fi connection on the Watch's Control Panel. The beta also has a Wi-Fi Toggle to Enable/Disable Wi-Fi on the Watch.

Dave
[doublepost=1508908319][/doublepost]
if that's true then this makes it almost useless. If I leave my phone at home and then go to work with just my watch, then surely the last wifi the phone was connected to was my home network and the watch wont connect to my work network??

Or if I was at a bar last night, on their wifi, and then went to work this morning, the last wifi maybe have been the bar, but I'm at work. what good is that??

Can anyone prove this is true?
No this is not true!

With watchOS 4, the Watch downloads Wi-Fi connection information from the paired iPhone when the Watch is connected via Bluetooth. Once a Wi-Fi connection is "Known" to the Watch, then the Watch is able to connect again to "Known" Wi-Fi networks without the need for the iPhone to be around.

This also means that the Watch can't connect to any "New" Wi-Fi connections, there is no way to complete the Wi-Fi connection steps from the Watch. And as yet another reminder, only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks are supported on the Watch.

Dave

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
It does not on the current public release of watchOS 4 or 4.0.1. The beta's for watchOS 4.1 have included the SSID of the Wi-Fi connection on the Watch's Control Panel. The beta also has a Wi-Fi Toggle to Enable/Disable Wi-Fi on the Watch.

Dave
[doublepost=1508908319][/doublepost]
No this is not true!

With watchOS 4, the Watch downloads Wi-Fi connection information from the paired iPhone when the Watch is connected via Bluetooth. Once a Wi-Fi connection is "Known" to the Watch, then the Watch is able to connect again to "Known" Wi-Fi networks without the need for the iPhone to be around.

This also means that the Watch can't connect to any "New" Wi-Fi connections, there is no way to complete the Wi-Fi connection steps from the Watch. And as yet another reminder, only 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks are supported on the Watch.

Dave
At home I have a 5ghz network and a 2.4ghz network, I have named them differently (eg wifi and wifi fast), my iPhone is set to auto join the fast one, but not the 2.4ghz one (although it is a saved network and a tap will do it). What I found was that the watch would never got to WiFi because of this setting (the only network at home to auto join is the 5ghz one) - tested in Watch 4.0 and 4.0.1. Once I changed it to auto join the 2.4ghz one the wifi worked again. I have 4.1 on my S0, but haven't changed the setting yet on my iPhone to see if this is still the case as I have 4.0.1 on my S3. Not everyone will have this issue, but it is worth pointing out.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
At home I have a 5ghz network and a 2.4ghz network, I have named them differently (eg wifi and wifi fast), my iPhone is set to auto join the fast one, but not the 2.4ghz one (although it is a saved network and a tap will do it). What I found was that the watch would never got to WiFi because of this setting (the only network at home to auto join is the 5ghz one) - tested in Watch 4.0 and 4.0.1. Once I changed it to auto join the 2.4ghz one the wifi worked again. I have 4.1 on my S0, but haven't changed the setting yet on my iPhone to see if this is still the case as I have 4.0.1 on my S3. Not everyone will have this issue, but it is worth pointing out.
My iPhone is set to auto join my 5gz wifi. Auto join my 2gb wifi is off. My apple watch auto connects to wifi.

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
My iPhone is set to auto join my 5gz wifi. Auto join my 2gb wifi is off. My apple watch auto connects to wifi.
That is interesting as I thought that was my issue - I will try to disable autojoin on the 2.4ghz and see what happens. What WatchOS are you running?