Apple Watch Not Performing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fabienne, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Fabienne, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Everything was fine until my Apple Watch turned off before I could finish putting in my security code. This happened several times in a row. I tried again several minutes later and it did work. Then I could not use my passbook to buy coffee. Just would not open. Finally, I click the crown to bring up the apps and I try clicking my Activity app and all of the apps start shaking then the whole app swarm flies off to the upper right hand side of the screen. I try it again and the same thing happens. Sometimes, I tap an app and the screen goes black and I am taken back to the time screen (home screen). Now I am also raising my wrist and the watch face comes on for a second and then goes black.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I fix it myself or must I go into the Apple Store and let them fix it?

I am a very heavy user of the watch and really have found it to be great.

THIS JUST IN FROM THE SELF HELP DESK: I gave it a hard reboot and it seems to be working again. How this is done? So easy, even a Level 3 could do it: press and hold the crown and the button on the side of the watch until the Apple logo appears. It will come back on and mine was good as new.

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

@Fabienne This does sound bothersome, although I'm a little embarrassed to admit I giggled at your description of all your app icons escaping en masse off-screen... :)

Have you tried the usual all-fix remedy of powering off your watch (and, possibly paired phone too just to be sure), then turning it/them on again? Modern, complex software can sometimes display equally complex patterns of mis-behavior, especially if a device has been left running for a while, letting crud collect here and there in the various internal gears. Restarting the device cleans all of that out, hopefully allowing it to resume smooth operation again.

I hope everything turns out well for you.

3. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Thanks, Lennyvalentin, I did hard reboot and all was well. I tried to power off and then on but it still acted up. Doing the hard reboot (push the crown and the oblong button until the screen goes black and then gets the Apple logo then starts back up again) did work. I agree with you, modern devices do have tendency to collect plaque in the software over time and need a good cleanout via powering down and restarting.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

It seems iWatch is the top device in computing history in terms of frequency of reboots/resets/re-pairings required to make it work at least sometimes. And unapologetic advice from "experienced" users and... from company itself to do so.

Even early versions of Microsoft OS's required less reboots.

Steve is spinning in his grave faster than a champion skater on ice.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Rebooting is the first thing one should try when your device is not behaving. If you find you are having to reboot often then it could be a software or hardware problem. I tend to reboot my iPhone and iPads once a month. Still have not rebooted my watch but have had no problems with it yet.

Glad you are up and running again. Enjoy!

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

To be honest, I'd rather do the reboot and get it to work again, rather than have something not work at all, as was the case with the buggy as hell iOS 7 at debut. In this sense, watchOS 1.0 actually felt less buggy than some of iPhone's iOS x.0 builds.

7. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

1. Programmers Spring 2015: But Tim, we only have watchOS 0.1 thus far! It's not even beta yet, it's OMEGA!!!
    2. Tim: just swap the numbers. 1.0 it is! I'm such a genius!!!!
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT

8. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Not sure why you're invoking Steve as some sort of champion of quality; Steve was perfectly fine with selling overpriced, sub-par products as long as they brought home the bacon and Apple's image was upheld in the eye of the public. This is why OSX still uses the ancient, terrible, awful and just plain bad HFS+ filing system. Also - "you're holding it wrong" iPhone4 "antennagate"? Just two examples amongst a sea of either mediocrity or outright ineptitude.

...Like with just about any major corporation and their leaders, might be added. Trying to portray Steve Jobs the well-documented sociopath as some kind of digital Jesus-figure is never going to work out all that well.