Apple watch notifications and privacy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by wickkedd, Jun 8, 2016.

1. wickkedd macrumors newbie

Hi All,

For privacy reasons, on my phone, I have notifications set up for chat / social networking apps to only show badges. I do not have the Banners or Alerts notification styles on, as I have set it to "None." Therefore, on my phone, every time a new notification comes, it only shows a badge that coincides with that notification.

The way Android Wear (moto 360) was set up, as long as the notification showed in the swipe down notification center (I had it set so I cannot swipe down to reveal the notification center on lock screen), the watch would alert.

On the Apple watch, I am unable to receive any notifications unless I enable either the notification on lock screen or banner / alert setting. Is there any way around that? This would be a deal breaker for me, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You have "Notification Privacy" toggled to ON in AW app > Notifications > Notification Privacy? Notification details appear when you tap on an alert.

On iPhone, you can toggle "Show Preview" to OFF but enable the alerts for privacy reasons.

3. wickkedd thread starter macrumors newbie

On my Watch, I have notification privacy set to ON, and yes, when I tap on an alert, I see the details...that's not the issue.

The issue is that for non-Apple apps (whatsapp, facebook, gmail, etc), I am unable to see notifications until I have either of these enabled on my iphone:

1- Banner or Alerts on
    2- show notification on lock screen

For Apple apps, it works perfectly fine as it is.