Apple Watch Notifications

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by clauzzz203, Jun 3, 2017.

1. clauzzz203 macrumors regular

Hi! Is there any way to receive haptic notifications on the watch for messages like facebook messenger or imessage, but without the phone having a notification sound?

Right now if I turn off sound for the notification on the iphone, the watch loses the haptic notification as well.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I turned off iPhone notification alert sound and I still get haptic notification on the Apple Watch with sound turned off, too.

3. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I use the mute button on the side of the iPhone and get haptic on watch.

4. tbayrgs, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

As long as my phone isn't awake and unlocked and phone Apple Watch is on my wrist and unlocked, I don't get notification sounds on my iPhone, just the haptic notification on my Watch. If my phone is awake, then I'll get the notification sound--makes sense as if the phone is awake, the assumption is you're already looking at it so you should get the notification there.

You're saying your phone display is asleep yet you're getting both haptic on the watch AND notification sounds on the phone?

5. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

I have the same experience as @tbayrgs. As long as the phone is not awake and unlocked, all notifications come through on my watch. One caveat to that is the watch must be unlocked. If you haven't unlocked it after putting it on your wrist, perhaps that's your issue?

6. clauzzz203 thread starter macrumors regular

What I am saying is that, I don't want to have the phone all day in silent mode.
    I agree that while wearing the watch, i get haptic on it and nothing on the phone.
    But when I am home, both watch and phone are in docks, and the phone chirps with each useless facebook message...

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You can turn off Facebook's notifation sound via iPhone setting you can sleep in peace.

8. clauzzz203 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but that's not really a solution. So I need a way to keep my phone on ring (obviously), have the imessage/facebook/whatsapp silent all the time even when both phone and watch are in dock, and have the haptic feedback in the watch.
    I feel that this is the whole point of the watch, to have the haptic and be able to turn off other nuisances when not wearing it. I can't be alone in wishing this.

Anyone know how to do it from apple's settings app?

9. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Good luck. I think your only option is to go to notifications and turn sounds off for the items you don't want to be bothered with. Not sure if that affects how the watch will notify you. If it does, your only option is to wear your watch all the time and charge it periodically like while you are in the bathroom, shower, etc.