Apple Watch Now or Wait

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by JWreck, Aug 19, 2016.

1. JWreck macrumors member

JWreck

Best Buy has taken a good amount off the Apple Watch today for their 50th anniversary. 38mm sport down to $249.

Wanted to get my wife one, but can't decide if I should wait or take advantage of this deal now? Her birthday is the 2nd of September. She likely wouldn't know any new features she would be missing, however if the new model is noticeably quicker it might be worth waiting.

Opinions?

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

It's almost a guarantee that we'll see a new Apple Watch with the iPhone's in 3 weeks. I would wait, unless you're happy with what you've seen of the current model and what OS 3 brings too it. The new Watch is rumoured to be faster, more water resistant, include GPS, and probably a slightly tweaked external design. If that doesn't matter to you, that price is good. You'd have to weigh how much remorse you'd have after seeing the new release after spending on the old one, as well.

3. JWreck thread starter macrumors member

JWreck

I'll be buying the new one for me, I guess it makes sense to wait.

Only question is...will the new model be at the current price or will it go back to initial launch pricing?

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I think all the retailers are offloading their current Apple Watches because of the impending new model. They've been discounted heavily everywhere. I try not to look into the rumors much of new products because 99% of the time, they seem to be inaccurate. It's hard to ignore the current one discounted. I don't think we can expect any significant overhaul of the watch on the new version. I feel the price will go back up to normal when the new ones go up.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd wait at this stage, sure you may get a good deal on the watch now, but will you be kicking yourself in a few weeks when apple presumably will roll out the new watch?

6. JWreck thread starter macrumors member

JWreck

I won't be since I'm waiting to buy the new one for myself, but my wife might. She's usually not too worried about having the latest and greatest, though.

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

i'm still on the fence. seen some good deals and those on BB right now, none of them can be ordered or shipped. my local store doesn't have the SS 42mm @ $399 which is my price point right now. some on swappa have apple care+ which is nice to have. i'm not getting the new one so holding out for deals at the moment.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Resist the temptation and hold on. Approximately three weeks away presumably. Pricing should remain the same.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

My opinion?

This thread should be merged with the other half-dozen asking the same "buy now or wait?" question.

10. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Keep in mind, the new watch is expected to be announced in 3 weeks, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be available in 3 weeks. Big difference. Last time they announced it in fall and released it the following spring. I doubt they'd do that again but you never know.

All that being said, if your wife doesn't care about GPS she probably won't be missing much. Performance seems to be the biggest issue w/ the current gen and watchOS 3 will speed it up a fair amount.

May also want to look for a used one. I got my 42mm Sport w/ an extra Apple band for $200 from someone at work.

11. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    I'm thinking of getting a sport now and seeing what they do in a few weeks. My Jawbone Up just died on me over the weekend so I want something, and that lower price is tempting. Hell I'm almost tempted to get a regular SS.

12. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Last time, they announced it before submitting paperwork to the FCC for approval (I'm about 95% sure about this). Same as they did for the first iPhone. The submission process is pretty impossible to keep secret, so Apple preferred to spill the beans themselves.

Sales of the current watch would absolutely tank if Apple announced a new version months before release. They learned their lesson from the mid-1990's, and since then, they have never announced hardware upgrades without them being available almost immediately.

13. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

It is sounding more and more that Apple couldn't get everything they wanted in this upcoming watch because of battery hits, so maybe getting one now for a low price is a great idea. Wait for V3 to get cellular and more built in? Unless GPS is important, then wait.

The heart rate sensor works so much better with OS3 and the speed for your most important apps in the dock will be great once they update to support OS3.

If I didn't have one today and I wanted one and didn't care about GPS, I would buy a SS today at Best Buy during their sale and double rewards points.

14. Arran, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

One way to avoid sales of the old watch tanking would be for GPS to be the only new thing in Gen 2, with everything else staying the same as Gen 1. Fence-sitters would then quickly decide if GPS was actually necessary for them. If not, they could finally snap up Gen 1's at really good discounts. And once the new watch OS is out in the wild, many fence-sitters might be happy with Gen 1 hardware after all. Especially if the price is right.

OTOH, those who do want GPS (outdoor types) would happily sit it out a bit longer before joining the feeding-frenzy on release day to pay premium prices for a new device in limited supply.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2016 ---
    Now you're tempting me! :)

I recently replaced my launch-day 38mm sport with a 42mm black stainless/black milanese and absolutely love it. It feels like a "real" watch. I have since bought a collection of various metal bracelets (black and silver) but I'd love to switch in a silver watch body whenever I feel like it. That BB deal would also give me a pearl woven nylon band which I don't have already, so really the cost of the new 42 stainless watch would be just $350 to me. Tempting, tempting. :)

15. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Now...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-g...band/4465701.p?id=1219751164558&skuId=4465701

I got mine for 225 but this is even better

16. tkukoc, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Best Buy has 38mm refurbished on their ebay account for 159.99 with free shipping, includes cable and plug. Or 42mm for 179.99.. Great deal in my opinion, I don't plan to get AP2 and I already have 42mm so I picked up the 38mm for my girlfriend.. if she doesn't want it then I'll use it on my 2nd phone for work.

17. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

$289 for a 42mm SS but unsure about being Geek Squad refurbished. we don't know the condition of the watch.

18. AppleRobert macrumors 603

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One of the most credible rumors is that Apple will release a version of the current :apple:Watch with the S2 chip at a much lower price point along with the :apple:Watch 2. It possible that Apple may start the :apple:Watch (1.5) 38mm with S2 :apple:Watch Sport for $200.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/08/07/apple-watch-2-upgraded-first-gen-models-kuo/

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Thanks for the info, I have BB's return policy to fall back on so I'll proceed accordingly if I feel I would want the newer Watch and the price is acceptable.

21. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I can only imagine the returns if Apple releases a faster 38mm AW at $200. That's why I highly doubt Apple would release at that price point. Even at $250 I see at least half the people returning the Best Buy deal. That's why it's smarter to wait it out. Personally I don't see the new watch hitting below $300 but what I do see is even more discounts on the current model especially the 42mm. And the used market is going to take a big hit. Just yesterday I saw Craigslist postings for stainless steel watches for over $500 to $600 used in my area. Who is stupid enough to buy that when you can get the 42mm stainless steel for $350 new at Best Buy right now. Realistically Apple has too many options for the same specs.

22. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Considering the cheapest Watch was $349 at launch I believe and really wasn't discounted for quite awhile, the only reason I see Apple going lower for the newer one is to sell more of them. How low though remains the question to entice people as folks can always consider the older ones as an option when those prices fall. But folks may still want the newer one perhaps so we'll see how things shake out.

23. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

At least they don't have to give them away free with a phone purchase like some companies do. :)

24. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I bought the 38mm Sport at Best Buy a week ago because it was $50 off and now I'm doubting my choice and wondering if I should take it back. I've also bought a few bands, etc but nothing expensive.

I mostly like the notifications and the ability to change it up with different bands and faces. I don't use mine for fitness so maybe I'll be ok. I just don't knowl

What is BB's return policy? What to do, what to do!