Apple Watch Obsolete When Mac is On?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jojods, May 6, 2015.

1. jojods macrumors regular

Does anyone else get annoyed at the fact that when your mac is on your apple watch is basically irrelevant? It frustrates me because I am often away from my computer with my macbook open and therefore it screws up my notifications.

----------

it's driving me mad

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Notifications go to whatever iDevice or Mac is actively being used. This is by design. If it's driving you mad either close your Macbook's lid or turn off notifications on your Macbook?

I turned off iMessage on my macbook because I got tired of hearing the notification sounds on my Macbook and My phone at the same time.

3. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I havent noticed this. In fact when I get an iMessage or text message and don't have messages in the front and i ignore OS X notification my watch taps me. Same with emails.

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I don't think you know what the word 'obsolete' means.

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

Didn't you return your watch??? Who cares at this point...

6. jojods thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I do, it fits with my argument

7. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

Agree. Click over to Safari, Calendar or anything else that doesn't involve notifications before walking away and there's no issue.

8. jojods thread starter macrumors regular

No? I didn't say I was returning it.

9. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

Just hide or minimize messages or click to a different app. If the messages app is front and center, it's reasonable to assume you're there looking at it.

10. flur macrumors 68000

I think you mean "irrelevant." Obsolete means "outdated."

11. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

I didn't read through the thread fully but I'm going to assume someone pointed out to you that you seem to have no idea what the word obsolete means.

12. Subdiv macrumors 6502

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

The entire point of the Apple Watch is to give you specific information you need exactly when you need it. Therefore, if you're already looking at your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, the Watch doesn't bug you for your attention. This is by design.

14. SSonnentag macrumors member

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

15. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if the Watch worked with any Apple product. Almost need a notification sync at this point.

16. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

It does sync notifications across all my devices. If I dismiss something on my watch, it's dismissed everywhere else too it seems.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People are assuming this because you started the thread "Loved it but now..." declaring how useless the Watch is for you.

18. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

LMAO.

No, no, no. The watch is no longer a current model, but ONLY when the Mac is on. When the Mac is off, its a current model!

19. southflguy macrumors regular

I have a hot corner setup so I can quickly start the screensaver and it locks my OSX desktop when I step away. Good rule to lock your computer regardless (assuming you're at work).

20. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm going to try this line on my wife tonight: "Why are you so obsolete when you're not around to give me sex?"

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

and improperly throwing in the obsolete term.

23. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

For the most part, I like that Apple has attempted to make only the active device get notifications. I think some of the "my notifications aren't working!" complaints came from people who didn't realize this.

I have noticed, though, that email will often come in on my computer a lot quicker than on my phone (and therefore on the watch). Sometimes it's several minutes or longer.

24. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

What kind of notifications are we talking about here? imessage? I've only seen what you are talking about with imessage. But that happens even with the phone, if you are actively chatting on your computer your phone will not alert for new messages.

25. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Try using a screen saver.