Apple Watch or Stay Jailbroken

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by UhFive, Apr 24, 2015.

1. UhFive macrumors regular

UhFive

UPS attempted to deliver my Apple Watch to my neighbor...luckily I realized it because I was out sweeping the driveway. I chased him about three blocks before he stopped again. Needless to say I couldn't wait to get my new Apple Watch!
    My real dilemma came when I got home. Before even opening the package I remembered I was on iOS 8.1 and didn't have the Apple Watch app. Easy fix right...? Nope because I am Jailbroken and don't want to lose my Jailbreak.
    There isn't any feature of the jailbreak I absolutely can't live without, but I didn't buy the watch with the intention of keep it...my original plan was to resale for a profit and make a quick $100. However, after making an in store appointment to try them on, I actually really liked it.
    So what does the world think I should do?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not much of a choice, if you want the watch you have to update.

Otherwise return or sell it.

I'm in the same boat but my Watch isn't here yet. Hoping we get a JB for 8.3 or 8.4 soon.

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

In the same predicament. Used my Mom's iPhone 6 to at least activate the watch, and am using it as a watch etc with no phone functionality until I see if they release a 8.3 jailbreak sometime soon (which i'm thinking they are waiting until 8.4 if anything comes out..). A real bummer.

4. LiemTa macrumors regular

How limited are you right now not being able to have phone alongside?

5. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking offers such minimal utility today, and comes at the cost of not insignificant security risks. Why bother?

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Well, it tells the time and I'm able to use the stopwatch and calendar, lmao.. That's about all. Can't really use the Internet for anything because I turned airplane mode on so I would not get her notifications.

Jailbreaking I use for only a few tweaks which I find immensely useful. The ability to customize my control center is the best thing that has happened to my iPhone. It seems insignificant but when I wasnt jailbreak I would always get frustrated certain things took so many steps to achieve.

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Why not wait until 8.2 is jailbroken and then you have the app? Shouldn't be too long right?

8. LiemTa macrumors regular

Can you unpair the watch?

Can you use the Activity app? The one with the Indoor Jog, Outdoor Job nonsense?

9. UhFive, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

UhFive thread starter macrumors regular

UhFive

The wife decided to abandon her jailbreak and updated to 8.3...she is now wearing it

10. iregret macrumors 6502

I faced the same dilemma. I updated for the watch. The only thing I miss is f.lux. That's all I had installed really.

11. Jimmie Geddes macrumors regular

12. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

13. ShawnTXDFW macrumors regular

ShawnTXDFW

I went AW and had no choice but to update to 8.3 I hated the fact that I had to lose my JB in order to get the AW. Though my watch isn't here yet, and won't be for another 2-3 weeks, good thing is the update is out the way. Take note, all I did was update my iPhone. My iPad is still JB, and I don't plan on updating that until the next JB comes out.

14. wepiii macrumors 6502

Worth losing it. I just updated to 8.3 today and lost mine (well, restored and updated). I barely use my phone anymore with the watch now

15. Charlesm3030 macrumors member

I would loose the jailbreak. I am still waiting for my watch, but I helped unbox my friends! It looks awesome see video below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1lym-VZTzs

16. Tatsh macrumors member

Tatsh

I bit the bullet and bought a new iPhone 6 Plus just so I could use my watch.

I'm keeping my other one though so I can still maintain my tweaks.

Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. The iPhone 6 Plus is a solid piece of equipment so it is worth it to me. As a developer, might as well have more stuff to test with.

17. iwayne macrumors 6502

iwayne

I just abandoned the JB for the watch, hurts but what are you gonna do if you want to be an early adopter...

18. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

Of course there will always be a handful of cool things you can only do with JB, but starting with iOS 7 that benefit gap began to close down significantly. I stopped JBing because it just became a huge inconvenience to maintain. I don't miss it.