Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faded.memories

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
I'm thinking about picking up an Apple Watch and my phone is currently Jailbroken on iOS 8.4

If I buy a watch and it's already updated to Watch OS 2 would I be sitting on a useless device until the next JB comes along or would it have some functionality even without iOS9 on my phone?

It is absolutely clear you must have 9+ to update the watch to OS2, but can 8.4 communicate with a watch that is already updated?

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
I'm thinking about picking up an Apple Watch and my phone is currently Jailbroken on iOS 8.4

If I buy a watch and it's already updated to Watch OS 2 would I be sitting on a useless device until the next JB comes along or would it have some functionality even without iOS9 on my phone?

It is absolutely clear you must have 9+ to update the watch to OS2, but can 8.4 communicate with a watch that is already updated?
From what I've heard, you will have to update to iOS 9 if it comes with watchOS 2.

faded.memories

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Confirmed incompatible unfortunately. Pretty much what I expected, but I was hoping otherwise.

Tonight I got my hands on an open box unit at BestBuy and they let me try to pair it. Got a pop-up message stating that iPhone software was out of date.

So...poo.

Gonna wait a while and see if JB 9.2x happens. Otherwise, I might put up an ad on CL or such and see if I can't find someone interested in selling me one that hasn't been upgraded yet. I know I'll want OS2, but I'd still like to have one sooner rather than later.

Decided to entertain myself by archiving some device backups and making a fresh backup of my phone in case Taig or Pangu make a move soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.