Apple Watch; Other font possible?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by frank-be, Oct 6, 2018.

1. frank-be macrumors newbie

frank-be

I never had an Apple Watch but since the latest version I’m thinking to buy one.

Is it possible to use another font on the Apple Watch?

I really don’t like the Arial-like font that I see in all the advertising. It’s a deal breaker for me. So I’m wondering if that can be changed. And if yes, what do the alternatives look like? I’d love to have the “gotham” font that e.g. Tesla uses on their dashboards. It’s very readable and clean.

Thank you!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. frank-be thread starter macrumors newbie

frank-be

Thanks for your reply.
    Too bad, no Apple watch for me then yet.

4. dthiss01 macrumors newbie

dthiss01

1 would say that if this is the reason you're not buying an Apple Watch, then you never will. I doubt that Apple will enable this feature any time soon (if at all).

5. barjam macrumors 6502

No watch for you ever then. This will never be an option. Ever.

6. frank-be thread starter macrumors newbie

frank-be

Never say never. I should have a look and feel with a real one I guess. Keep you posted.

7. barjam macrumors 6502

The phones have been around for 10 years? Can’t change the font there either.

I remember windows before XP where the is could be highly customized (easily). People have zero taste and pick the worst options. Locking down the UI looks and feel to something that real designers put in place is the correct choice. Having apple watches/phones running around with gaudy font options/colors would be bad.

8. frank-be thread starter macrumors newbie

frank-be

Since you mention this; that is indeed very true. With the “old” versions of windows one could make things indeed very ugly. And even unpractical.

At Apple they are pixelpeeping every detail until it’s perfect.
    Maybe I’m just hoping for a little choice of font styles. Not just any font that I could find out there, but just a few options that are also made to perfection we could choose from.

The thing is, I’ve done some “real” watch dial designs in the past for a real watch company and I’m very into fonts on watch dials. Hence my initial question. I think I could call myself a “watchdial font nerd”. Does that even exist? :p