Apple Watch Outsold All Competing Smartwatches Combined Last Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Twice the data rate or four times the range. That's a really important distinction.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-5-speed-range-762369/

You'll likely get one eighth the data at four times the range, and 1.7 times the data and a quarter the range.

That's not nothing though. Most of the time with the watch on your wrist and the phone in your pocket you'll benefit from the data rate and an eighth the data over longer range in your house is better than none...

Still I haven't noticed that the data rate to the watch is my limiting factor for anything but software updates, and WiFi seems like the preferred long range communication when at home, rather than point to point over BT. I think I'd benefit more from better WiFi than bumping to BT5...

2. citysnaps macrumors 601

My wife doesn't have an Apple Music account. She uses mine; which for her is free btw...

If the music she asks for influences mine in some manor, that's ok. Nothing to get wound up about.

"It is unfathomable to me that Apple released, what is essentially, an Apple Music playing device (that's the thing it does best) and they didn't even make _that_ work for multiple people properly."

Oooh...unfathomable... Seriously? Try and unwind a bit. I suspect that and many more features will soon be coming. In the meantime we are both enjoying HomePod many hours a day. Kind of like with the early iPhones which, apparently unfathomably, didn't have copy and paste.

Life goes on. Try and enjoy it.

3. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Interesting tidbit ...
    I own a 3 story townhome. If I left my 7+ in the office on the bottom floor, wifi was the only way for the Apple Watch (Nike 2) to connect if I went to the 3rd floor (bedrooms). For my Gear Sport, BT, I can leave my Razer in the office (bottom floor) and still have BT connectivity on the 3rd floor.

4. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

5. Wanted797 macrumors 6502a

Wanted797

Same. I’d probably got buy a normal watch go back to none.

6. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Pretty uneven experience. Some parts of the watch feel faster, other features such as starting activity and launching the music app seem to take forever.

I guess I can only adopt a wait-and-see approach.

7. Applemaniac7 Suspended

You make it sound like thats a good thing....

8. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

It is what it is. It’s hardly Apple’s fault that the competition isn’t pulling their own weight in these areas.

9. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

I’m just calling it how I see it.

Android Wear and tablets are busts. I’m not sure if Google is even trying anymore.

10. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Umm... the total shipped doesn't mean the total sold. wtf

11. Keirasplace macrumors 601

In the case of Apple it likely does as channel inventory is generally minimal, for others not so much.
    Also, consider those are just educated guesses for Apple and others (though Tim gives a ballpark figure usually when asked by comparing loosely to known numbers, which makes Apple's numbers less guesswork than those from the competition).

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Up to the comp to change that..

13. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

So, it's still # shipped, not # sold, like I said...

14. Keirasplace macrumors 601

Channel depth are known at Apple, they run very lean with quick turnover, so what is your point, if there are 3% of inventory in the channels, the difference at the end of the year is immaterial. During long periods of the years, many models are even out of stock.

So, what is your point. Nothing. Just words.