Apple watch owners upgrading to a 7. How to do it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jonfarr, Sep 15, 2016.

1. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

So, no one has talked about this as far as I have been able to tell. Do we need to unfair our watches from our iPhones tonight so they back up to the phone and then have the phone back up as well? I will be trading in my iPhone 6+ as part of the IUP tomorrow and won't be able to do this after the fact.

It is my understanding that if you forget to unpair the watch and have the backup saved then you will lose all the data on the watch? Or am I way off on this?

2. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

According to Apple's support documents the Watch is backed up when ever your iPhone is backed up. But if you want to make sure that you don't lose any data, unpair the watch and turn it off until you have your new iPhone. And when you backup your iPhone make sure you either backup to iCloud or to an encrypted iTunes backup. If you backup to non-encrypted iTunes backup you will lose all your health and activity related data that is stored on your iPhone and your watch.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I will let you know in 18 hours... I will definitely un-pair first, because that forces a backup of the watch to the phone. Then I will backup the phone. Then I will restore to my new phone. Finally, I will pair the watch back to the new phone.

4. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Thats my plan too. I back up to iCloud so I shouldn't have to worry about the encryption aspect for health data, correct?

5. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

This is my question, too. I was under the impression that the only way to save health data is by doing the encrypted backup via iTunes. I would so love to be wrong!

6. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I've done this before. When you unpair a watch, a backup is made.....so

1) I'll unpair my watch
    2) I'll backup my iphone to iTunes (my phone is on 10.0.1)
    3) I'll activate new phone, apply any OTA updates (the 7 ships with an OS lower in rev number to 10.0.1)
    4) I'll restore my backup to the iphone7
    5) I'll repair my watch

7. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

These are indeed the steps. I did it last year when I got the 6s.

That is not true. The watch only backs up periodically. The only way to force a backup is to unpair or reset the watch while it is close to/connected to the phone.

8. jonfarr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Ah, I forget that the phone will need an update.

9. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

iCloud backup is encrypted so you are good to go.

Good to know. So the best way to force a backup would be to unpair the watch using the Watch app.

10. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

If I forgot to unfair my watch.... what do I do?

i don't want to lose my info. can i turn my old phone back on, unfair, then pair to the new one?

11. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

You can reset the watch from the settings app on the watch. App home screen --> settings --> general --> reset

You'll lose whatever activity data was gained after your last iPhone backup and whatever watch settings you changed since last watch backup. Shouldn't be too bad though.

12. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

It's insanely faster to just use iTunes to do the backup and restore that way.
    We did it last year with out 6s and saved tons of time

But others above highlighted the correct process

13. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I totally agree. It was telling me like an hour for iCloud restore but only took 5 min for iTunes.

14. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

I've only ever recovered my sensitive data restoring from a password encrypted iTunes backup.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2016 ---
    "Unfair" isn't a thing in this context except that's it's unfair to lose your data maybe.

15. aplnub macrumors regular

16. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

If you want the phone to remember your passwords for all your accounts, backup and restore using an iTunes encrypted backup. It's also faster.

17. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

well anyone who knows anything about the watch can figure out it was a typo (actual the forum autocorrected it to that, because it just did it again while i was typing it here) that was supposed to be unPair.

and I got it all figured out.. both watches are re-paired to my brand new phone....

18. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

That's fair.

...Ill see myself out.

19. mr99 macrumors 6502a

So I set up my new 7 plus and never un paired my Apple Watch. I'm looking for the quickest way to set it up to my new phone without unpairing to my old device and doing a new restore.

Can reset my watch then pair it with my 7 plus knowing I'll only lose 1 days worth of data? Will it retain health and activity data?

20. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

The steps I outlined will do just that.

21. DDustiNN, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

iCloud backups should bring everything back as they are encrypted.

BUT, I prefer using iTunes as it is much faster. I use iCloud daily for backups, automatically, but once a week I use iTunes and back up to my computer.