Apple Watch Performed Flawlessly

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Soba1, May 28, 2018.

1. Soba1 macrumors regular

Soba1

Wife and I went to Wal Mart yesterday and I decided to leave my phone home and take only my watch.
    There was a minor pedestrian accident in the parking lot yesterday. An elderly man struck a woman as he was trying to park the car. Wife and I went to offer assistance. I was able to dial 911 and help assist with getting an ambulance to the victim. The only thing though is when they asked for my phone number a different number came up other than what my phone number was.

Lastly one thing I did notice and I haven’t paid attention to it with my phone but inside Wal Mart I’m sure due to all of the concrete the watch lost signal.

But just thought I would share this little tidbit. The watch is a nice little gem to have if you decide not to carry your phone. Sometimes I just don’t feel like taking my phone along.

Needless to say wife was impressed

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Using with AirPods?

3. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

No without, next time I go with just my watch I will bring my Dre Beats will make it easier to hear. The volume was ok but the occasional background noise gave me a slight challenge.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your watch actually has a different phone number than your iPhone. Check your account with your carrier to see / verify if the number that 911 saw was actually the phone number assigned to your watch.

What carrier are you using as they all call their solution by different names: NumberSync (AT&T), Digits (T-Mobile), NumberShare ( Verizon ) for example?

Note: you don't need to remember your watch's phone number or share it with contacts as the carrier systems make calls and messages from your watch to appear to be from your iPhone. Testing 911 from the watch is very limited but at this point I would guess that the 911 system was allowed to receive the individual phone number assigned to your watch or the 911 Operator made a mistake or possibly due to the audio levels / background noise that there was a miscommunication with the 911 Operator.

Dave

5. gjamesm42 macrumors member

Next time you are at Walmart connect to their WIFI with your phone. Then your watch will automatically connect to their WIFI next time you're at the store without your phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205547

6. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

I’m with Verizon, thanks for the info
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2018 ---
    I didn’t have my phone with me but noted for future use thanks

7. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

The watch does generate another number, but you can still provide your regular number and calls will still get routed to your watch if you don't have your phone on you.
    Also - Walmart and large warehouse style retailers like that have a lot of steel in the roof and walls of their building which causes issues with cell signal so that's typical. I've also hear they install blocking devices on purpose to make customers focus on shopping without distractions, but that's just speculation :)

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

[rant] Apple, Google, AT&T, Uber, Facebook, etc know exactly where you are. However call 911 and you must provide an address or directions. Something is wrong with that.[/rant]

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Without sounding too paranoid, you might not want to do that (and same thing with a lot of other random access points provided by various corporations and vendors), as doing so is a common way of getting man-in-the-middled that may expose private information of yours including passwords used to log in to web services and whatnot.

What can happen is that some unknown bad actor sets up an access point of their own with the same SSID and password as the one you desire; your device then auto-connects to that one, and then the bad actor can function as a sort of malicious VPN tunnel without your knowledge, reading your device's requests to connect to whatever services you may be using, then presenting itself both as that service to your device and as you to the service, leaving your data potentially exposed in the middle as it passes through.

...Unless this security loophole has been resolved these days, of course. Still, corporations don't provide access points to the public in order to be nice. They do it to track you, keeping tabs on when and where your phone connects and probably what you do through that AP as well. So you may want to use your discretion anyway... *shrug*

10. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

11. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

It’s nice to have something do as expected.

12. rayward macrumors 68000

As a rule, you should always check with someone from the establishment as to what is the correct name of their official network and what is the password. If you don’t get BOTH of these, don’t connect.

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Yes, but this doesn't stop other people from setting up another, parallel network with the exact same name and password - and quite possibly using equipment with a stronger transmitter/better antennas, thus wider range to catch auto-connecting devices before their owners reach the premises of the official network.