Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredtown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys

Have a weird issue. When I make phone calls with the watch there is an extremely awful delay when talking through the whole conversation. Sometimes 2-3 seconds before my voice gets to the other line. I restart my phone and everything is ok. Then it eventually gets back to the same behaviour. Thoughts?

Fredtown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Funny thing is I restart the watch the and problem persists...its restarting the phone that fixes it. Makes me think it's a software or Bluetooth issue on the phone...but haven't really seen any threads on this

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Mine has delays even just starting calls. It's definitely a very crude option. I don't really use it in conversations in which voice clarity and fidelity are important. It's good to have though.

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
HI

I'm going to share this thread with apple.

the issues I have

- pressing call button on a contact, takes about 5-10seconds before it starts ringing, then call quality is poor, cuts out and delayed.

- inbound calls has much bigger delay, pressing answer button takes a few seconds to answer call, then their is about 5 second delay in the audio plus quality is not very good.

can someone try both of these? I want some evidence that its not just me with this issue!
Also share what iPhone you have and what iOS you are running.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I have the 42mm SS Apple Watch and an iPhone 6 Plus on the o2 network in the UK. Call quality using the Watch is great no conversation lag and the other party have no idea I'm on the watch.

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have the 42mm SS Apple Watch and an iPhone 6 Plus on the o2 network in the UK. Call quality using the Watch is great no conversation lag and the other party have no idea I'm on the watch.

Thanks for that! I've got 6 plus on three. I think I'll try a O2 sim as three uses HD voice where O2 is not HD.. Wondering if that's the cause!

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
tried another sim same issue, reset apple watch.. same issue. However.. i paired it with another iPhone 6 (mine is plus) and it worked!

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
HI

the issues I have

- pressing call button on a contact, takes about 5-10seconds before it starts ringing, then call quality is poor, cuts out and delayed.

- inbound calls has much bigger delay, pressing answer button takes a few seconds to answer call, then their is about 5 second delay in the audio plus quality is not very good.

can someone try both of these? I want some evidence that its not just me with this issue!

Yes, I have the same problem with the delay when answering calls. I answered three calls today on my watch and it did this with all three. I thought maybe the mute switch was on when the other parties didn't respond. It was awkward answering ... "can you hear me" .... over and over!

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I've experienced this twice since getting the Watch. The first time it was legitimately terrible --four or five second delay-- and the second time less so. The majority of the time, I have no issues taking calls from my 6+ via the Watch.

As it's over BT, I'm guessing the lag increases in areas with lots of interference, but restarting fixed the issue both times.

Unfortunately, I think regular (daily/every other day) restarts are going to be necessary on the Watch for a while.

chrisduk

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I've experienced this twice since getting the Watch. The first time it was legitimately terrible --four or five second delay-- and the second time less so. The majority of the time, I have no issues taking calls from my 6+ via the Watch.

As it's over BT, I'm guessing the lag increases in areas with lots of interference, but restarting fixed the issue both times.

Unfortunately, I think regular (daily/every other day) restarts are going to be necessary on the Watch for a while.

I did a restore in iTunes on my phone which I thought fixed it.. However it seems just restarting the phone initially fixes it, but then the issue comes back after phones had around 1hour uptime.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I find it varies, however I also answer calls via my iMac sometimes and the experience is similar. Its caused by the fact that your iPhone is relaying your call through another device.

richyrb

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2015
Reporting confirmation of voice delay issue.

Hi,

Thought i would contribute my acknowledgement of a voice delay issue when using the apple watch.

resetting solves the issue with the first call, calls after the first then have a delay on people ringing me and when i make calls.

also i have one call completely go silent (call didn't drop off) and required me to end the call.

V1.0 (12S507)

I'm aware that there is an update from this version but cannot update in work as the install requires it to be charging / plugged in. (annoying but i understand the reasons for this)

I will report back to see if the update has fixed the delay issue on my watch.

Mikey Moz

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
Hey guys

Have a weird issue. When I make phone calls with the watch there is an extremely awful delay when talking through the whole conversation. Sometimes 2-3 seconds before my voice gets to the other line. I restart my phone and everything is ok. Then it eventually gets back to the same behaviour. Thoughts?

Mikey Moz

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2015
I had the same problem. My FaceTime on my phone was set up with a phone number only. Once I also included the email address associated with my iTunes / iCloud account, the phone and Apple Watch worked fine. Hope this works for others with this problem

Lizattwu

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
I am having delay problem with my iwatch. What have Apple done to fix this? Has anybody had it fix?

Danmyphone

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2018
HI

the issues I have

[doublepost=1526399324][/doublepost]My exact problem. Can't figure out how to fix delay or people hearing me with the watch. Any solutions offered?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have the exact same problem however I know the issue for me. It always does but only when I’m on my friends router and my phone is on Wi-Fi calling. On my router (AirPort Extreme) it’s fine on Wi-Fi calling. When I hop off his Wi-Fi and goto LTE it’s fine. And when I disconnect my phone and have the watch connected directly to his Wi-Fi it’s fine. He has a Comcast router/modem combo and I’m connecting via the 5ghz band (dedicated ssid).

Resetting and restarting has no effect. It’s something to do with his router and Wi-Fi calling because I can make the issue come and go at will.

At least that’s the issue for me. I’ll experiment more if it helps because I haven’t tried his 2.4ghz band on the phone which is what the watch is using without the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.