Apple watch phone call problems

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by capilson, May 14, 2015.

1. capilson, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

capilson macrumors newbie

Just received my apple watch, paired fine and all notifications, alerts and communication to the phone have worked great except for calls received and initiated from the watch. I didn't get the watch to use as a phone but wanted the ability to answer a call or start one to then handoff or send to my iphone.

When a call is started or answered form the watch my iPhone 6+ becomes unresponsive until the call is stopped. No taps, button presses or otherwise do anything but display the apple logo. I have called apple and they have elevated the issue and are supposed to get back to me in 48 hrs or so.

Have tried with no success:
    -handoff enabled and disabled with no difference
    -Unpairing and restoring watch and restoring phone and repairing watch
    -Forgetting all other bluetooth pairings on watch and phone
    -Apple ran diagnostic over air and said phone and watch looked fine.

Attached Files:

2. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

When I make a call from my watch, my iPhone blacks out and gives me the Apple logo. The call goes through and I can talk, but my phone will not go back to normal until I hang up. I'm going to bring it in and see if they know of any fix. It could just be a bug, as I've tried hard resetting phone and watch, and repairing.

Other than that one issue, I haven't noticed any other major problems.

3. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Just for reference purposes I have an iPhone 6 and when I make a call on the watch it looks like I minimized a call on my phone. I get a blinking green bar and touching it causes it to handoff properly. I seem to recall something about handoff popping up on me when I paired the watch originally.

4. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep that is exactly what I am getting, with no other problems....

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple has their work cut out for them on Watch OS 1.01.

I hope they are working hard on it!

6. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Let me know what they say when they call you back. Thank you!

7. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I hope so too haha. Leave it to me to find a problem. Will let everyone know what I hear back from APL

8. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Just looked at my watch and it was running diagnostics mode, guess they are still looking into it?

9. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Interesting ok. Hoping to go to the Apple store this weekend to see what they tell me.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've used handoff numerous times from my Apple Watch now to my iPhone 6 Plus without issue since receiving my Watch yesterday.

I also hand-off to my Bluetooth headset, too, which works really well. I have to wait till the call connects, but then press the "dial" button my headset and it hands off without issue.

Do you have any other iPhone handy that you can test to see if you pair it etc?

----------

That's what I see. I touch the green bar and bam - Watch says it's handed off the call. Works like a dream, really.

11. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Good idea. I'll try and convince my husband to unpair his watch and repair mine to see if it still has the issue.

12. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I wish that is what I was seeing, I have not tried a different phone but after another call with apple support, I am not sure that the phone is not the problem.

They asked me a few more questions, most of them concerning contacts on the phone. She asked how many mail/contact/calendar entries sync contacts.

For me it is only one set w/ Microsoft exchange. I don't have iCloud or gmail acts sync contacts to avoid any duplicates.

mynameisjosh are you running an exchange acct on your phone?

13. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

Am I the only one that hasn't even used the watch to make/receive a call yet?

I haven't had the opportunity really. 99% of my calls are business calls so I use my headset plugged into my phone.

14. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

We had a thread going with a similar issue. Restoring the phone as new was our resolution, unfortunately.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1876114

15. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats good to hear that worked for you but restore and repair not a working solution in my case.

I would really like to know the root of the problem, if that worked for you guess it wasn't hardware in your case?

16. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't have wifi calls yet or an evan an option in settings with AT&T as of now. I think Tmobile is the only network that supports wifi calls

17. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

This happens to me when I make a call from my iPad using Handoff. My iphone screen goes black with white Apple logo

18. gmann21133 macrumors member

gmann21133

When that was happening to me with my iPad it turned out to be some rogue software from a jailbreak way back from my iPhone 4s. I had to restore, and setup as a new phone. The problem went away immediately.

19. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

One person on that thread actually had their phone replaced at the Genius Bar but the problem persisted even with new hardware. Restoring the phone from a backup didn't work - it had to be restored as a new phone for resolution.

Did you restore your phone as new or from a backup?

Good luck, I know it's frustrating!!

20. mynameisjosh macrumors regular

mynameisjosh

Yes I am. Interesting.

21. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, that is interesting josh.

Thanks for the advice iggy, I have been asked to hold off on this as APL is going to check back on Monday to have me upload some more diagnostics from another backup, so wiping everything clean right now wouldn't help in finding a solution. Hopefully this gets figured out....not just for me

22. capilson thread starter macrumors newbie

After trying a ton of different things I think we have a fix :

on iPhone go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Call Audio Routing, and look to see if you have Automatic selected. If not try changing it to Automatic.

I had Headset selected on my old settings I changed back to Automatic and so far everything is working like it should.

Handoff to phone works when calling from watch and vice versa, no more boot loop screen!