Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
So what could potentially cause the Apple Watch to not be a sustained hit?

A few possibilities:

- Poor battery life (even less than one full day with realistic use)?

- Too easy to water damage?

- Limited current WatchKit features causing apps to be too boring?

- Version 2.0 causes the resale value of the first models to drop even more than year-old iPhone models?

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Definitely the battery life. I will also guess that real world usage with distance to your phone is possibly an issue. I would like to leave my phone in my car while I'm at the park running or playing some games and still have my watch push texts and calls.

Though I don't understand the too boring aspect you mentioned. Can you elaborate on that? I don't see the watch as an item where much fun is intended anyway.

Last edited:

mig1985

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
Frankfurt (DE)
+1 for poor battery capacity.

this causes many side effects...
e.g. no option to use it as a sleep tracker (track your movement during sleep)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I would say a demonstration. So far Apple hasn't made a very solid case for the watch. Oh, and the price too.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Battery life that doesn't easily get a day. If people start hearing stories of the watch dying at 7 or 8 pm, that would be a pretty big blow.

No clear use cases. Currently, the use cases for the watch are pretty thin. If people don't quickly see a use case personal to them, they won't buy it.

Price. People do not know how much an iPhone really costs. If they think of the cost, they think of the subsidized cost of $199, or lower. Asking them to pay a perceived higher cost for something that is an accessory to the phone is a stretch. Especially if the first two things I mentioned are already issues.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Battery life that doesn't easily get a day. If people start hearing stories of the watch dying at 7 or 8 pm, that would be a pretty big blow.

No clear use cases. Currently, the use cases for the watch are pretty thin. If people don't quickly see a use case personal to them, they won't buy it.

Price. People do not know how much an iPhone really costs. If they think of the cost, they think of the subsidized cost of $199, or lower. Asking them to pay a perceived higher cost for something that is an accessory to the phone is a stretch. Especially if the first two things I mentioned are already issues.

I'm sure the watch will die even quicker than that, depending on use.

Apple will plan for a GOOD days life, I'm sure, but based upon what they consider a relistic usage scenario.

Look at the time every so often, look at a few alerts.
Tap on the screen and take a reading a few times.
Look at an app, and take note of what it says for a moment

If you sat there and "played with it" I'd imagine its going to die very fast.

If nothing else SHOUTS this, why do you think Apple are giving out instructions now that the Watch should only be for brief notifications type use. That SCREAMS they are worried.

I think once the expectation and media has died down a bit, and the battery life has been reported in the media as "good for at least a whole day"
THEN Apple will allow heavier proper apps to be written for it, that will KILL the battery.

But by then, it won't matter, the "good for at least a day" will be fixed in the media and public's mind.
When it's found to die, perhaps after a few hours running a full app, then it won't be Apple's fault. It will be the apps fault.

This is pretty clever tactic on Apple's part.

Doing it this way, and limiting what they will allow people to do on the watch will, as I say establish it on people's minds that it's got a great battery.

If they allowed full apps on day one, then it would be slammed for having a junk battery life, which it will have, but by then it won't matter, as I say.

dennyod123

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2013
Is Apple watch water proof? Did Apple release that information?

----------

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

----------

Apple did not release an IP rating, but it will probably be at least an IPx5 or higher going by this pic.

ScreenShot2014-10-24at114540AM_zps52428622.jpg

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Apple did not release an IP rating, but it will probably be at least an IPx5 or higher going by this pic.

I wonder if that is a swimming pool in the background (blue) or not; the blurred black line looks like a lane separator in the pool. If so, the watch could be more than IPx5 - "fingers crossed".

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
the ability too not use it as a stand alone phone will kill it for me. im so used to making phone calls on my gear solo. that anything eles would be like going back in time.;)

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I really want an Apple watch but I'm terribly confused.

Everyone interested in a smart watch: I want one with good battery

Apple: we made a smartwatch, it vaguely has 1 day battery

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
The movie theater experience will be terrible with everyone checking their watches now. Sigh. Little bright lights everywhere.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The movie theater experience will be terrible with everyone checking their watches now. Sigh. Little bright lights everywhere.

Eh, I am sure there will be a theater mode, where you will have to press the crown to get the display to turn on...

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

These same people would be checking their phones anyway so it could actually be less light.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
a FaceTime camera on the front would be kind of fun; would feel like a secret agent talking to people via a video call on your wrist!

Could be useful backup for firefighters being guided through a building remotly.

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
a FaceTime camera on the front would be kind of fun; would feel like a secret agent talking to people via a video call on your wrist!

Could be useful backup for firefighters being guided through a building remotly.

naw not secret agent enough for me. if i have to have my 6 or 6+ in pocket. now the gear solo is secret agent no phone needed.

machtv

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2014
does the gear solo have a FaceTime/front camera?

last years gear2 had a camera but like the iwatch need to be near the phone for any real use. but i would rather give up the camera and have the watch work all by it self. that why when if i want i can leave the phone at home and still have something that can do just about everything

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
So what could potentially cause the Apple Watch to not be a sustained hit?

A few possibilities:

- Poor battery life (even less than one full day with realistic use)?

I'm willing to bet this is the sole reason why the Apple Watch is not launching this year.

firewood

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm willing to bet this is the sole reason why the Apple Watch is not launching this year.

Not launching for awhile for reasons of battery life might be a good thing. Apple often gets/buys access to the latest newest tech in actual production, so that means the watch might get better batteries than anyone else is currently using in volume.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Not launching for awhile for reasons of battery life might be a good thing. Apple often gets/buys access to the latest newest tech in actual production, so that means the watch might get better batteries than anyone else is currently using in volume.

On the flip side, and let's be honest here.

History has told us that Apple, for mobile products does not place battery life very high up the list.

They seem to have decided that 1 day's use is what THEY THINK you should have.

Irrespective of what YOU want, that's Apple playing Mummy and Daddy, as always and deciding what's best for you.

If you look back over years on these very forums about iPad, and iPhone battery life.
there are postings upon posting from many many people almost pleading that Apple stops making the next product 1mm or 2mm thinner, but rather keep the same thickness and improve the battery life over the current model.

But they won't listen, and will thin the next model down, at the expense of the battery. I think the iPad Air 2, has a worse battery life than the iPad Air does it not? Simply as they put, and I have to use the well used term again:

Form over function.

That, I'm afraid IS the problem with Apple, they give you no choice.
You either buy the 1 model they offer, or you move away from Apple so you are stuck.

Like now, you want the latest phone last year, but you wanted a BIG screen, sorry, 4" was the size, and 4" was correct.

This year, someone else loved 4" but wanted the new phone, sorry, we are not making that in 4"

Give people the choice, and people will buy what THEY want from Apple's range. But it makes Apple more money to make the 1 model.

Without ANY question whatsoever, if Apple DID add, say 2mm to the thickness of this years iPad or iPhone, and sold them both alongside the current models, as "Long Life" versions.

You can bet, a TON of people would buy the long life versions, with say twice the battery life.

I think Apple seem to consider, hey, you charge your iPhone every day, so you are happy with that, so you will be happy to charge your watch every day also.

Whilst I'd love to be wrong. I can't see Apple struggling to make the watch last for days and days on a charge, they would rather make it thinner, faster, add more things to it, than add days of battery life.

I hope I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.