Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During its "Time Flies" event today, Apple announced that it is launching three new health research studies to learn how health metrics from the Apple Watch can help manage conditions that affect the heart and lungs.

apple-watch-series-6-blood-oxygen-monitoring-1.jpg

First, to study how to better manage and control asthma using physiological signals from the Apple Watch, Apple said it is collaborating with pulmonary experts at the University of California, Irvine and health insurance provider Anthem.

Second, Apple said it is partnering with the University Health Network and the University of Toronto in Canada to learn more about how Apple Watch metrics including blood oxygen can be used to manage heart failure.

Third, Apple is partnering with investigators at the Seattle Flu Study and faculty at the University of Washington's School of Medicine to explore how changes in blood oxygen and heart rate can be early signals of the onset of influenza and COVID-19.

In addition, Apple and the government of Singapore today announced a partnership on the health initiative LumiHealth, which will encourage healthy lifestyle changes through technology. Launching in late October, the LumiHealth app will feature challenges designed to help users sleep better, move more, eat well, and live more mindfully.

Article Link: Apple Watch Powers Three New Health Studies Focused on Asthma, Heart Failure, and Early Detection of COVID-19

Last edited:

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
This is really awesome. Just think about how much iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches have changed and improved in just a couple of years.

Can you imagine how amazing these products are going to be in 2025 or 2030?

I'm seriously going to consider buying an AW6 to replace my trusty old Series 3!

Reactions: mhnd

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Really good! But it’s appealing more to new users or watch 3 or 4 users

slothinker

Contributor
Nov 28, 2012
The blood oxygen reading is a big deal ... if it changes much it would be a sign of possible COVID-19 involvement and progression.

iemcj

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
The blood oxygen reading is a big deal ... if it changes much it would be a sign of possible COVID-19 involvement and progression.
Except it isn't. Blood oxygen readings really isn't as helpful as you think as they can fluctuate throughout the day for perfectly normal reasons. And different people have different natural levels, I've had triathletes with lower levels than patients who I know were very unhealthy lol

Kevincjz

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2018
Except it isn't. Blood oxygen readings really isn't as helpful as you think as they can fluctuate throughout the day for perfectly normal reasons. And different people have different natural levels, I've had triathletes with lower levels than patients who I know were very unhealthy lol

Yeah agreed. Not too sure what the applications are especially where sports are concerned that involve monitoring blood oxygen at that level...

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
This is really awesome. Just think about how much iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches have changed and improved in just a couple of years.

Can you imagine how amazing these products are going to be in 2025 or 2030?

I'm seriously going to consider buying an AW6 to replace my trusty old Series 3!

I'll keep my excitment on ice for the moment. As Apple drip feed out small, iterative improvements, it'll be closer to the 2030 and beyond mark..

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
I was lucky to get an Apple Watch with ECG outside of Australia. To my knowledge, this feature is still coming two years later? Can we expect the same delayed Blood oxygen feature to come to the Apple watch in Australia? Becasue otherwise there is literally no reason to get it in Australia, just settle for the SE version.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

I am not bothered about it’s usefulness so I’m not looking to get into an argument, as much as just learning a thing or two. But since it’s only monitoring one person, and I’m guessing the app is analyzing the data, wouldn’t it be able to figure out (to some degree of certainty) what a normal fluctuation for the wearer is ? So it wouldn’t really matter what’s normal to be vs you because it’s only monitoring me and what’s normal for me. Just thinking.

mani

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007

Yep. These toy features of the Apple Watch will only lead to even more uneccessary enquiries of doctors by concerned wearers, just like the afib warnings already have. All of this is counterproductive and unnecessarily taxing our health system. (By the way: the Apple Watch was by no means the first watch with an ECG as Apple likes to claim..check out the Casio BP-100 that came out in the early 90s. Obviously the Apple Watch works much better 30 years later, but still it wasn't the first watch with a 1-lead ECG)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Yep. These toy features of the Apple Watch will only lead to even more uneccessary enquiries of doctors by concerned wearers, just like the afib warnings already have. All of this is counterproductive and unnecessarily taxing our health system. (By the way: the Apple Watch was by no means the first watch with an ECG as Apple likes to claim..check out the Casio BP-100 that came out in the early 90s. Obviously the Apple Watch works much better 30 years later, but still it wasn't the first watch with a 1-lead ECG)

would be fun to pit the two watches against each other.

Reactions: mani

mani

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
would be fun to pit the two watches against each other.

yes would be fun. the Casio came with instructions on a cassette tape. I miss audio instructions...Apple used to have them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.