Apple watch questions..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt3526, Feb 28, 2018.

1. matt3526 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I am interested in picking up an apple watch but I have a few questions.
    How long does the battery last in real world uses? If I were to go to the gym in the morning and record a run in the evening, would it last?

Is it possible to load music onto it, so that I can listen to music on a run without my phone being nearby?

Also, how do you find the storage? I'd get the 8gb model. I have no idea how much space apple watch apps take up, but from experience I know that a 16gb iPhone is a real nightmare storage wise. I guess I'd only need fitness apps and some music, but as I have no experience with an apple watch I don't really know.

Thanks

2. webbga macrumors member

webbga

I have a series one Apple Watch. I do a 70 minute treadmill workout in the morning, a 40 minute afternoon workout, and am active during the day to the tune of about 1,300 active calories. I put the watch on when I rise at 4:30AM and take it off at night when I go to bed (9:30 PM). I usually go to bed with about 40%-45% remaining battery life. I don't use the apps very often because. I carry my phone with me. I have some music, but not much. Again - I use my phone for that. I have about 56 songs on the phone ,but I rarely use them. I have 4.2 gig of storage remaining. I find the workout apps that are on the watch more than sufficient for what I do. Hope that helps

3. TiggrToo macrumors 6502a

TiggrToo

Don't use mine to the gym (what's a gym? :D) however, that said, I usually slide on my my 16GB Series 3 LTE at around 5AM and, by the time I've gotten to bed at 9PMish it's around 84% battery - and that's getting alerts & notifications on it, checking weather with Carrot (many checks, much snark!) and the occasional replying to messages and the odd telephone call.

The lowest it's ever been on the hardest longest day in the 4 odd months I've owned it has been about 60% and that was a heavy usage day where I streamed music to my truck from it and took two 10 minute calls as well as all the usual usual.

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I log over an hour of exercise a day either trail running or in the gym and I charge my Series 3 every other day. I do keep my phone with me all the time so I don’t store music on my watch.

5. Krayzkat Suspended

Hi I’ve got a Series 3 GPS (8Gb) and normally log a 40 min HIIT workout in the morning and a 40 min indoor bike in the evening.

For the last week or so, I’ve been wearing the AW to bed for sleep monitoring, so I’ve been charging it twice a day during each workout’s shower and it’s never ran out of power.

Usually though I’ll just charge it at night, and it’ll always have enough power left by the end of the day.

Regarding music; I’ve got about 10 albums saved on the AW and by looking at how much memory that took up and comparing it with what memory I have left, I reckon I could have 30 albums saved on this AW at least..... more if I delete extra apps/photos etc

Ps. Yes you can listen to music on AW without needing your phone. You do need Bluetooth headphones though.... AirPods work brilliantly

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

I do a lot of trail running and I currently use a Garmin. I love that it gives me my elevation gain in feet whereas the Apple Watch would only tell me how many flights of stairs I've climbed (as far as I can tell). Is there a way to get the Apple Watch to tell me how many feet I've climbed on a run?

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I would suggest you to pick up 16GB model cause more storage less problem, despite most watch apps occupy somewhere around 1-15 MB.
    And frankly, loading music to your watch is the only way you can listen to music without your phone and data.
    Battery life wise, I have encountered a weird problem that my watch will just keep running something, resulting 20hrs of usage in a single day despite me not doing anything serious out of it. (Check time calendar receive email check weather etc, all win LTE) Even so, the watch still lasts a whole day. So you don’t need to worry too much about battery life.

8. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I've got 200 songs on mine and like streaming them to my Airpods - I think I've still got around 3GB space left. You are unlikely to run out of space on an Apple Watch anytime soon.

I often get a full 2 days out of mine before recharging - this is with a basic 3 or 4 mile walk I track. The 42mm gets better battery than the 38mm.

9. matt3526 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for your replies. That helps me out a lot!