Apple Watch range from phone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by I am Sampson, Sep 9, 2014.

1. I am Sampson macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Anyone seen details on the range from phone to still get text notifications etc?

Desperately need this info as it changes if I get iphone 6 or 6 plus.
    If range is fairly good then I want the 6 plus so it can sit in a draw at work and I still get text notifications. If range is bad I want the smaller one so it can stay in my pocket.
    I'm worried the 6 plus won't work in my pocket as my job involves multiple children sat on my lap whilst I'm cross logged on the floor... pretty sure a 5.5" phone might get in the way!!!

All I've found is bluetooth=10m (best case) and bluetooth le (which I assume the watch is) is "better range than normal bluetooth".

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Range can be a complicated thing, since any measurement is going to be based on clear line of sight. With obstructions like walls and desks reducing that effective range. (and actually just saying "wall" oversimplifies things, since different building materials have different effects on radio waves).

Still, with my pebble smart watch I can generally wander into the next room and remain connected. I imagine that the Apple Watch will perform similarly.

3. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

4. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

I don't think the Apple Watch will simply 'stop working' once it drops out of range. The way I see it is that data will be 'Synced' to Apple Watch, rather than 'Projected'. Therefore, you could still use Apple Watch when it's out of range, However if you want to use certain functions, e.g control music, you'd just have to move a little closer!

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

At work I've occasionally used a Bluetooth headset to listen to music. I've had no trouble within at least 25 feet. It'll likely depend on whether it's that, WiFi or a combo to connect to the iPhone. I'm wagering that it's Bluetooth, but I don't know.

6. I am Sampson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am Sampson

Yeah, it won't stop working. But I'm interested in the range you still get text/email notifications as that's pretty much the only reason I want the watch as I can't check my phone in my job (reception class teacher) but would like to be able to see if I get an important message easily like my wife saying "your baby is now in hospital!"

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The connection will be BT and the range is BT. BT spec is up to 60 meters but is closer to 10 to 20 meters (30' to 60') in real world usage.