Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KriStellar26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all. I have very sensitive skin and was worried this would become an issue. And sure enough I am developing a rash this week. I have only had the watch maybe 2 months. I wore it daily at first no issue. So I wonder if the heat is the problem. I imagine I sweat under there.

Anyway. I read somewhere that I could possibly put a protector on there, where it touches my skin. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if it may help? The band hasn't bothered me at all. I really hope I can find something to help!

FrisbeeK9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Hi all. I have very sensitive skin and was worried this would become an issue. And sure enough I am developing a rash this week. I have only had the watch maybe 2 months. I wore it daily at first no issue. So I wonder if the heat is the problem. I imagine I sweat under there.

Anyway. I read somewhere that I could possibly put a protector on there, where it touches my skin. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if it may help? The band hasn't bothered me at all. I really hope I can find something to help!
Hi I have same problem and I put a Zagg brand covering the back and rash cleared up.

KriStellar26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Oh great. Is this covering made specifically for the back of the watch? Which one did you use? I did a quick search and didn't get any exact results.

KriStellar26

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
It's the black stainless steel 38mm model. I do not wash it.. Or I haven't yet. What do you wash it with? This is the first thing pretty much ever, that I have consistently worn on my wrist. My skin is very sensitive and I get rashes even without anything in contact with my skin.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Also, try wearing it just one notch looser. If it's too tight, it won't let your skin breathe.

Also-also, there's an outside shot that you're allergic to the small nickel content of the case. I kinda doubt it, though, because 316L steel doesn't have as high of a percentage of nickel as other kinds of steel, and you say the rash is under the sensor, which is ceramic.

Anyway -- you've been wearing it for two months without cleaning it? You're among the roughly one-third of AW owners who answered my poll (see sig) and said they haven't, or rarely, worn watches before getting the AW.

Apple says you can rinse and wipe it down:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204639

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you skin is super sensitive you may not be able to wear the AW. I have a friend who can not even were his wedding band due to skin sensitivity. It is not the gold that he is sensitive to but the moisture under his band.

Stainless steel and ceramic is about as rash proof as it get and I would worry more about putting something on the back of the watch or on your arm could make it worst.

If this irritation is heat related I would also suggest you loosen your watch a bit to allow it to breath. I wipe down my watch, front and back, every night before putting on the charger. Once a week washing under cool water keeps the gunk from accumulating.

Hope you get it worked out if you enjoy your watch.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
If you skin is super sensitive you may not be able to wear the AW. I have a friend who can not even were his wedding band due to skin sensitivity. It is not the gold that he is sensitive to but the moisture under his band.

Stainless steel and ceramic is about as rash proof as it get and I would worry more about putting something on the back of the watch or on your arm could make it worst.

If this irritation is heat related I would also suggest you loosen your watch a bit to allow it to breath. I wipe down my watch, front and back, every night before putting on the charger. Once a week washing under cool water keeps the gunk from accumulating.

Hope you get it worked out if you enjoy your watch.

Depends on the stainless steel. 316L should be relatively problem free. Some others like the 904L that Rolex uses does cause problems for those sensitive to the higher nickel content to the point where many people simply can’t wear any of their watches after 1985.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Depends on the stainless steel. 316L should be relatively problem free. Some others like the 904L that Rolex uses does cause problems for those sensitive to the higher nickel content to the point where many people simply can’t wear any of their watches after 1985.

Thanks for the information. The thread is near two years old.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I saw this post and thought that it was a new-ish post. Darn.

I'll reply anyway, in case anyone is still having sporadic rash issues. At least I can share my success story.

I have an Nike S2 in Space Grey. Around the 1st year mark, I started getting rash right under the sensor. It was more of a skin lesion than anything (didn't itch). I switched over to the right wrist (about a week) to let my left one heal, which it eventually did, so I switched back to the left. The right wrist didn't have any issues.

A few weeks later, I get the same skin issue, albeit a slight different spot. So again, I switch over to the right and let the left heal.

So now I'm looking for solutions .. maybe clear nail polish or some sort of screen protector.

So off and on, I'd the left wrist would develop the issue, but eventually, I figured it out. Every time I had the skin lesion, I had either gotten soapy water or soap lather under the watch and I didn't properly rinse my watch or wrist off. This was dish detergent mostly, but at least one time, it was the soap they have in my office's mens room.

So now, I am very careful to rinse my watch and wrist off if I get soap on it.

Been problem free for well over a year now.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I saw this post and thought that it was a new-ish post. Darn.

I'll reply anyway, in case anyone is still having sporadic rash issues. At least I can share my success story.

I have an Nike S2 in Space Grey. Around the 1st year mark, I started getting rash right under the sensor. It was more of a skin lesion than anything (didn't itch). I switched over to the right wrist (about a week) to let my left one heal, which it eventually did, so I switched back to the left. The right wrist didn't have any issues.

A few weeks later, I get the same skin issue, albeit a slight different spot. So again, I switch over to the right and let the left heal.

So now I'm looking for solutions .. maybe clear nail polish or some sort of screen protector.

So off and on, I'd the left wrist would develop the issue, but eventually, I figured it out. Every time I had the skin lesion, I had either gotten soapy water or soap lather under the watch and I didn't properly rinse my watch or wrist off. This was dish detergent mostly, but at least one time, it was the soap they have in my office's mens room.

So now, I am very careful to rinse my watch and wrist off if I get soap on it.

Been problem free for well over a year now.

Soap will do,it for sure. I remember wearing my school ring and washing my car or just my hands and after a day it was like athlete’s foot except under my school ring. Taught me a lesson for sure. When I wash my hands I am careful about getting soap under my watch or watch band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.