Apple Watch rash under heart rate sensor

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KriStellar26, Jul 7, 2016.

1. KriStellar26 macrumors member

Hi all. I have very sensitive skin and was worried this would become an issue. And sure enough I am developing a rash this week. I have only had the watch maybe 2 months. I wore it daily at first no issue. So I wonder if the heat is the problem. I imagine I sweat under there.

Anyway. I read somewhere that I could possibly put a protector on there, where it touches my skin. Does anyone know if such a thing exists and if it may help? The band hasn't bothered me at all. I really hope I can find something to help!

2. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Hi I have same problem and I put a Zagg brand covering the back and rash cleared up.

3. KriStellar26 thread starter macrumors member

Oh great. Is this covering made specifically for the back of the watch? Which one did you use? I did a quick search and didn't get any exact results.

4. CobraPA macrumors 6502

5. KriStellar26 thread starter macrumors member

It's the black stainless steel 38mm model. I do not wash it.. Or I haven't yet. What do you wash it with? This is the first thing pretty much ever, that I have consistently worn on my wrist. My skin is very sensitive and I get rashes even without anything in contact with my skin.

6. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Some people do react to their own sweat. Rinsing the back in running water every day or two might be enough.

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Also, try wearing it just one notch looser. If it's too tight, it won't let your skin breathe.

Also-also, there's an outside shot that you're allergic to the small nickel content of the case. I kinda doubt it, though, because 316L steel doesn't have as high of a percentage of nickel as other kinds of steel, and you say the rash is under the sensor, which is ceramic.

Anyway -- you've been wearing it for two months without cleaning it? You're among the roughly one-third of AW owners who answered my poll (see sig) and said they haven't, or rarely, worn watches before getting the AW.

Apple says you can rinse and wipe it down:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204522
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204639

8. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

If you skin is super sensitive you may not be able to wear the AW. I have a friend who can not even were his wedding band due to skin sensitivity. It is not the gold that he is sensitive to but the moisture under his band.

Stainless steel and ceramic is about as rash proof as it get and I would worry more about putting something on the back of the watch or on your arm could make it worst.

If this irritation is heat related I would also suggest you loosen your watch a bit to allow it to breath. I wipe down my watch, front and back, every night before putting on the charger. Once a week washing under cool water keeps the gunk from accumulating.

Hope you get it worked out if you enjoy your watch.