Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnygee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Earth
My Series 2 watch has been rebooting at random ever since I installed watchOS 4.2. It reboots several times per hour, rendering it nearly useless. The watch operated perfectly with watchOS 4.0. I have erased all content and settings several times, removed all third-party apps, and set it up as a new watch, yet the problem persists.

Apple ran a remote diagnostic on it Saturday afternoon, but they said the diagnostic didn't find any issues. They think it's a hardware issue and they want me to send it in, but it's out of warranty.

I'm having a hard time believing it's a hardware issue because the watch operated normally with 4.0.

Is anybody else experiencing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...I'm having a hard time believing it's a hardware issue because the watch operated normally with 4.0.

Likely a coincidence. I have a S0 that started rebooting and contended to increase until it would not boot up at all. Clearly a hardware issue.

Recourse

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
My Series 2 watch has been rebooting at random ever since I installed watchOS 4.2. It reboots several times per hour, rendering it nearly useless. The watch operated perfectly with watchOS 4.0. I have erased all content and settings several times, removed all third-party apps, and set it up as a new watch, yet the problem persists.

Apple ran a remote diagnostic on it Saturday afternoon, but they said the diagnostic didn't find any issues. They think it's a hardware issue and they want me to send it in, but it's out of warranty.

I'm having a hard time believing it's a hardware issue because the watch operated normally with 4.0.

Mine is doing the exact same thing, but it’s a series 0. I restored it from a backup and it seemed to take care of the frequent reboots for about a week, but it’s back to doing it. I’m assuming it’s a bug in 4.2 but haven’t been able to confirm that anywhere.

mommybetts79

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Georgia
Same here with S3. I have done a hard reset, but it keeps rebooting. I stoped at my local Apple store today and they told me the only thing they could do was send it off to Apple.

Last edited:

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Same issue here with a Series 2 -- random, extremely frequent re-booting (several times per hour). Unpairing and restoring from a backup has, for now, stopped the issue and all seems returned to normal. Hoping it remains that way.

Recourse

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2017
Same issue here with a Series 2 -- random, extremely frequent re-booting (several times per hour). Unpairing and restoring from a backup has, for now, stopped the issue and all seems returned to normal. Hoping it remains that way.

Yep, that’s the same behavior I’ve seen. It’s got to be a software issue, but is Apple aware?

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
I'm not a developer and thus do not have a developer account for logging in via that link. I suppose I could submit "feedback" on a form available on the consumer side, unless there's a better avenue...
I’m having the same issue this morning with my series 3 LTE.

I wouldn’t bother reporting feedback. I’m yet to ever have anything sorted using this method. The best method is to go through the official support process and let Apple report it back to engineering. The more reports back, the more weight it gathers for a fix. Just don’t hold your breath, these things seem to take an eternity.

mommybetts79

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Georgia
I just had reset my watch at work, because if I didn’t it will drain out my battery. This is probably the 10th time of me doing so. I’m so sick of this.

pablito1972

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
same problem here with a Series 2 SS. Only way to stop it rebooting is to force rebooting the watch with both buttons pressed. Haven't had with WatchOS 4.1 if i remember correct.

regards,
Pablo

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Yes my series 3 has done this a few times and unpairing and repairing fixed the issue

xnatex

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
I have a Series 3 that's about a week old and running 4.2. I haven't seen it reboot, though I don't do any heavy usage on it. Maybe that somehow means there's hope for yours?

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I’m having the same issue this morning with my series 3 LTE.

I wouldn’t bother reporting feedback. I’m yet to ever have anything sorted using this method. The best method is to go through the official support process and let Apple report it back to engineering. The more reports back, the more weight it gathers for a fix. Just don’t hold your breath, these things seem to take an eternity.

I've had great experiences with filing bug reports. Including when I reported the issue with my watch rebooting. They had me send some logs to them and after a couple updates I could finally close it out.

I don't pay the developer, beta program, fee. Just have the free developer login.

mommybetts79

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Georgia
Well yesterday I called Apple. I couldn’t take it anymore. I had to reset my watch for the 30th time and I also did it the day before that to. They gave me a few options on sending it back. I opt to pay $471 so they could send me a new one and then once they receive my current one, they’ll release my funds back into my account.

mommybetts79

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Georgia
My S3 has been having the same problem and I have had it replaced with a new one by sending it off to Apple. Removed a few a apps and the same thing is happening. Maybe it’s the iPhone X that’s causing it.

andrewsjra

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
My S3 has been having the same problem and I have had it replaced with a new one by sending it off to Apple. Removed a few a apps and the same thing is happening. Maybe it’s the iPhone X that’s causing it.

I just had my series 3 LTE reboot while it was on my wrist. I have a iPhone X too. I also had it reboot while charging when it was connected to my iPhone 7+. Apple acts like they’ve never heard of this issue but if you google this, you find lots of people experiencing the same issue. I hope this is just a software issue and not hardware. I have Apple care but many don’t. It is unfortunate to have to fork out money for repairs or replacement.

Reactions: mommybetts79

mommybetts79

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Georgia
I just had my series 3 LTE reboot while it was on my wrist. I have a iPhone X too. I also had it reboot while charging when it was connected to my iPhone 7+. Apple acts like they’ve never heard of this issue but if you google this, you find lots of people experiencing the same issue. I hope this is just a software issue and not hardware. I have Apple care but many don’t. It is unfortunate to have to fork out money for repairs or replacement.

They just released an update for apps causing the watch to crash. Hopefully it helps with the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.