Apple Watch Remote App question.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by SRLMJ23, Jun 15, 2015.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

So I am assuming that the remote app on the AW has the same functionality as the Remote App on the iPhone/iPad, however, I cannot get the AW Remote App to connect to my Apple TV. The problem most likely is that my Apple TV (3rd Gen) is hooked up via ethernet not wifi, but the Remote App(s) on my iPhone/iPad can control my Apple TV fine...so I guess my question is, am I missing something here or would my Apple TV need to be on WiFi for the AW to see it and interact with it or is the Remote App on the AW not able to work with the Apple TV?

I can control my iTunes library with my AW Remote App but not my Apple TV, just looking for some clarification/help on this subject. Many thanks in advance!!

:apple:

2. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

I think it connects thru Bluetooth and not wi-fi, if I'm not mistaken. I have mine set up with Apple TV and it works great. You have to go to Apple TV settings and enable Bluetooth, then you should be able to see your apple watch on there. Click on it and it will give you a pairing code that you need to enter.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I can leave my iPhone upstairs charging and my Watch will control Apple TV via Remote. Do you have home sharing enabled?

4. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

I had problems with this too. You need to restart your Apple TV and/or toggle off/on Home Sharing. Restart watch. Turning internet on/off on Apple TV and on iPhone. Doing things like this I finally got the remote app to work. I was able to add mine and a friend's (when I was on her WiFi)

5. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

The weird thing is it lets me setup the AW as a remote in the "Remotes" section on the Apple TV. The Apple TV see's my watch and it asks me to enter the code on my watch and I do, then on my Apple TV it shows the AW as a connected remote, however, on the AW the code disappears and my Apple TV DOES NOT show up. Very strange.

I tried doing the Bluetooth setup and on my AW under the settings app in Bluetooth, it see's my Apple TV and I click on it and I get a message on my AW saying my Apple TV is not supported. I just do not get it, and I am getting frustrated!!! Haha.

Since my Apple TV is seeing my AW as a remote, and linked...my AW Remote App SHOULD be seeing and allowing me to use my Apple TV but it is NOT.

I should not have to unplug my ethernet and then enable wifi on my Apple TV for this to work since it works fine on my iPhone 6 and Retina iPad Mini 2. Very odd?!?!

Thank you BH85 for your response but I cannot get it to connect via bluetooth or as it usually does. Do you have any other suggestions? Also thank you in advance to anyone else who responds!

6. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

You are experiencing a common problem. I did too. See my previous reply and follow my steps.

7. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Ok, I resolved it. I restarted both my AW and Apple TV, then went back to into remotes and it brought up my Apple TV on my watch, said it had lost connection so I hit repair and re-entered the code and BAM it worked. I apologize for wasting some of your time as I should have done this first before posting about it, but it kind of slipped my mind. So once again, I apologize for wasting some of your time as this was such an easy fix! I feel kind of stupid honestly, haha! Anyway, thank you all for sharing your thoughts and if anyone needs help with this in the future, I would be glad to to help you out. Thanks again!

8. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Thank you spoa94...your post helped me get my watch paired up and working correctly! As I said in my last post, I should have thought of this myself but it just slipped my mind. Thank you once again spoa94! I have to give credit where credit is deserved!