Apple Watch Reviews: Summarized

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by FrankySavvy, Apr 9, 2015.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

There are a few people on the forums touting that all reviews have skewed on the negative side. I have read through all the major reviews thus far and here is what I found.

Bloomberg (Joshua Topolsky)

Summary: Worlds best smartwatch, yet, not essential

+Good Looks
    +Seamless, Simple U.I
    +Great Activity App

-Raise Wrist Display Delay
    -Glances seem clunky
    -Digital Touch Weird
    -Emojis gimmicky

Darring Fireball (John Gruber

Summary: Amazing fit & finish, better battery life then expected, taptic engine is a game changer. But you can't swim with it and raise wrist isn't perfect

+Fit & Finish
    +Taptic Engine
    +Battery Life

-Raise Wrist has bugs
    -Can't swim with it

The Verge (Nilay Patel)

Summary: Best smartwatch on the market, but do I really need it? Was is it really for?

+Display
    +Taptic Engine
    +Activity App
    +Great Watch Faces
    +Apple Pay

-U.I is slow
    -Device is Heavy
    -Confusing Side Button
    -Display Air Gap
    -Raise Wrist Display Delay
    -Notifications/Glances only accessed from watch face
    -Notification Management
    -Limited Siri functionality
    -Heat Rate Sensor: Hit or Miss
    -Price

The Wall Street Journal (Geoffrey Fowler)

Summary: Apple watch finally makes sense of smart-watches if you can tolerate its flaws

+Stylish
    +Sensible
    +Great Speakerphone
    +Apple Pay

-A bit too thick
    -Can't use in Shower
    -Notifications Management
    -Third Party Apps

Techpinions (Ben Bajarin)

Summary: The Apple watch is onto something but is not a necessity for most

+Notifications
    +Taptic Engine
    +User Interface
    +Battery Life
    +Force Touch

-Learning Curve
    -Necessity

Re/Code (Lauren Goode)

Summary: Smartwatches are still unproven but the Apple Watch makes a strong case for them.

+Design
    +Battery Life
    +Apple Pay
    +Call Quality
    +Accurate Heart Rate Sensor

-Thick
    -Limited Siri Capabilities
    -Charging Cable

New York Times (Farhad Manjoo)

Summary: Bliss after a steep learning curve

+Smart Looks
    +Apple Pay
    +Taptic Engine

-Steep Learning Curve
    -Taptic Engine
    -Third Party Apps

CNET (Scott Stern)

Summary: Most ambitious, well constructed smart-watch, some first-generation problems.

+Beautiful Construction
    +Compact Design
    +Solid Fitness
    +App Support

-Battery Life
    -Price
    -Slow at Times
    -Confusing U.I

Yahoo (David Pogue)

Summary: Most beautiful smart-watch around, best user interface, but pricey and a few bugs

+Design
    +Taptic Engine
    +Well Designed U.I
    +Battery Life
    +Siri

-Price
    -Raise Wrist Display not Perfect
    -Learning Curve
    -App Menu Too Small
    -No Sleep Tracking

Most reviews are overall positive.

Most love the design, a few complaints about bulkiness. Most agree battery life is better then expected, some still don't like charging daily. User interface can be buggy (Apple promises fix before launch) and can have a steep learning curve. Notifications can be hellish for the popular kids, but for the average person shouldn't be a problem. Overall fitness tracking is great, some people reported inaccuracy in the Heart Rate Sensor. Taptic feedback is amazing, digital touch is a bit gimmicky and everyone loves Apple Pay!

Not a necessity, more of a luxury. It is the best smart-watch around.

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

I don't view the reviews as overall very positive. These are the handpicked journalists that Apple gave early review units to. They don't want to piss Apple off. The writing to me seems to be them trying their best to spin it while calling out serious negatives that are major concerns to the experience.

*I* would summarize the reviews as "has incredible potential, but not there yet"

3. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

A lot of the issues are software related. Hopefully with fixes before launch. I am very happy the Battery Life is better then expected.

4. 123playcard macrumors newbie

Good summary.

Agree that software update can fix most of the issues. Given it is a new product in a new category, the learning curve will take time

5. akm3 macrumors 68020

Fair point. It's a risky bet to hope software makes it better. Apple is sometimes pretty quick to jump to version 2 and pretend the old one doesn't exist anymore.

6. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

The reviews are right on par with what I thought they would say. The device is very personal so it either fits in your life style or not, just like a regular watch.

7. Glene, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

Glene macrumors 6502

So whats the jist on a software update? Read here in other posts about update "before launch" i assume we all should get update info as soon as we take delivery from the orders tonight? Or it ships with a version the reviewers did not get?

It matters for me because if the lag can be dialed out with software, i would buy a link watch tonight. But if its the CPU that needs a hardware update, ill go sport......hmmmm

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

They've been working on it 3.5-4 years now, the watch is in production... highly unlikely the next software update will fix it. Maybe by 2017...

9. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Thanks for the summary. You might add Joanna Stern's mini-review from the Wall Street Journal, as well. Self and Men's Health also had mini-reviews.

11. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Wow thank you for taking the time to compile this summary. It really won't influence my decision, but it's clear a lot of time went into this and it's nice to see it all laid out in one place!

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Are there no Sport edition reviews at all?

Did Apple send only 42mm stainless steel watches to every reviewer (along with the band of their choice)?

I'd like to see reviews of not just the most expensive (non-Edition) version, but also the far more likely-to-be-sold Sport model.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

14. KPOM macrumors G5

To the contrary, I think it actually reinforced the idea for some reviewers (e.g. Joanna Stern) that it's better to wait for Gen 2.

Overall, I think objectively it makes sense to review the stainless steel since they are positioning the Stainless Steel as the "mainstream" watch. It also gave reviewers a chance to try multiple bands. Everyone got a sport band and a different band of their choice for the review. They sent 38mm or 42mm at the request of the reviewer.

Of course, for all we know Apple asked every reviewer what they wanted and they all picked the stainless steel.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ed Baig from USAToday has his review up.

+ Beautiful design options
    + Apple Pay
    + Versatile feature set.

- Expensive
    - Learning curve
    - Phone calling from wrist is not a great experience
    - iPhone only.
    - Must be charged regularly.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2015/04/08/baig-buying-the-apple-watch/25436885/

16. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

The styling and finish seemed to have been nailed. Aside from what could be software bugs or underpowered hardware, the biggest con that seemed to be fairly common was a lack of focus and necessity. Many reviewers seemed to still be asking the questions "What is it good for?", and "Do you actually need this?"

Also, as others have mentioned, these will be the best reviews you will likely see other than those from fanboy blogs and forums. These are Apple's people, their normal first run, handpicked reviewers, and most of them seem to be saying hold off in a very PC way.

17. biosci macrumors 6502a

Did these same reviewers all make similar criticisms of every Android Wear iterations there has been since the first one? I mean a lot of them claim that this is the best one yet say this (seemingly 'dumb') comment about 'what is it for?' Just imho... IDK. I know Samsung had the 'creepy' version criticism. A lot of people seem to like the Moto 360... It just seems like if the watch can do what the M360 can do and then some. But then all of a sudden a 'what is this for' comment seems ridiculous.

18. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

No problem. Thank you so much.

19. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is where the major reviewers stand:

Positive:
    Mashable
    USA Today
    Yahoo
    New York Times
    The Telegraph
    Techpinions

Mixed:
    Bloomberg
    Wall Street Journal
    Darring Fireball

Negative:
    The Verge
    CNET
    Re/Code

If you truly read through everyone of those reviews, some sway more positive, some negative and some mixed.