Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

familyman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I am looking to pick up an apple watch for running and daily use. I know its not the best running watch but the total package appeals to me. I am looking to buy the non-cellular apple watch and run with the my iPhone, but control the iPhone without having to touch the display.

Will the apple watch let me have a workout app (any type) running while running the pocketcasts app (or other podcast app)? Could I change which podcast is playing on the watch without stopping the workout app or pulling out the phone? Can I switch between podcasts and music with just the watch interface without stopping the workout app? Can you use the apple watch to switch playlists stored on your phone?

I appreciate any insight into these questions.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yup - should be good with all of what you asked about.

I do a lot of running with the watch (I have been since it first launched). While a workout is running you can go to the app screen, open Music, or open a podcast player, adjust controls, etc. Many times I've gone in and out switching from a podcast to music, or different playlist.

In the most recent version of watchOS, the built in Workout app allows you to quickly swipe to the side to see the music player / control. Very easy to slide back and forth between music and Workout. I believe this is only for the built in Workout app and built in Music app though.

Katie Allison

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
Can anyone tell me whether the Outcast podcast app will allow me to transfer podcasts to my watch series 4 where my watch will then be able to play podcasts directly through my Watch's speakers without having to send the podcast through bluetooth or the iPhone to get sound?

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Can anyone tell me whether the Outcast podcast app will allow me to transfer podcasts to my watch series 4 where my watch will then be able to play podcasts directly through my Watch's speakers without having to send the podcast through bluetooth or the iPhone to get sound?

Will need headphones for sound. Only apple podcasts allows sync right now.

Edit: perhaps this app does sync as well. I know overcast used to but feature was pulled as so slow and unreliable. You can now do the same as this app for free though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.