Apple Watch 'S'

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kozz, Feb 3, 2016.

1. kozz macrumors member

So I broke down last night and grabbed me a new apple watch...and of course 1st thing I see this morning is that they are thinking that there may be an 'S' upgrade....

I have a 30 day return policy, my question is to you good forum folks is:

What would you do:

1. keep the current watch and watch the news and return prior to the 30 days

or

2. just return now and watch the news

Thanks in advance,

K

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, the rumor is that Apple will announce it on March 15, so maybe it hits the stores in mid to late April. Could you live without the watch for two months?

3. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

There will always be a new better Watch on the horizon. But since we're 5 weeks away (possibly) from an Apple Watch announcement (possibly), I'd wait til at least then. All reports, though, emphasize not to expect too much from any possible successor at this point.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think Gene Munster was the one who has been quoted today saying there will be an 'S'
    update. He's hasn't exactly got a great track record.

Mark Gurman with 9to5Mac (who have a very good track record) maintain that only new bands and partnerships will be announced before an update in Autumn this year.

5. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

1. Stop obsessing over rumors. Seriously, they will drive you crazy.

Nothing is about to come out.

Keep the watch. Enjoy.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Actually the rumour is that they will be announcing new watch bands on March 15th. Not a new watch.

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

There is more than one rumor.

8. kozz, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

kozz thread starter macrumors member

I agree, one fear is that if I damage it then I won't be able to return, so I may just return it and see what happens after all what's one more month waiting I have gone this long without one, but so far today its been fun to mess around with and get a feel for what it has to offer.

and I get rumors will drive one nuts but heck sometimes I think I am already there!

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

The rumor I've heard said differently.

10. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

OP, keep it.

Whenever the new version is announced, then -- and only then -- you'll learn what the timeline for hardware upgrades will be. You'll also learn how long to wait until the third version comes out, which will be a better upgrade, and maybe worth the money, than merely from 1 to 2.

11. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

You've heard a rumor that there is only one accurate rumor? So many rumors... I cannot keep up.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Tell me about it. I ran out of fingers and toes, then my wife gave me a funny look when I pinched her finger and said, "Number 22."

13. profets macrumors 68040

I say if you've gone 9 months without the watch (since it first launched) then wait one more month to see what they may show at the march event.

14. PR. macrumors member

PR.

I broke and bought one off eBay over the weekend. Certainly nervous it's going to be replaced in no time at all.

Then again there's an article today saying the Apple Watch will launch in Greece and a few Middle East countries next week. Would they really do that if they were going to replace it in 5 weeks?

15. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I really don't think Apple will burn people that way.

16. kozz thread starter macrumors member

I saw that article today also, and thought the same thing, as said below what's a few more weeks hell I may even catch it on sale!

17. ftlum macrumors regular

If the possibility of a new band combination (especially a black Milanese Loop) would impact your buying decision, then I'd wait till March. Also, I heard that Target is having a sale again next week, so if that happens, you'll at least want to get a price match.

18. WLS macrumors 65816

Interesting.. I just read that a major retailer in England is deeply discounting it also. Before I bit on a target sale I'd consider if some major buyers feel a need to reduce inventory in advance of the March show..

19. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

Retailers have no better idea than we do on when the next watch is coming. Their guess is as good as yours.

20. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

There are two sides I'd suggest:

1. Keep the watch but pay attention to the March 15th announcement. If it's only new bands, then no harm. If they announce an S upgrade, you can still return it for a full refund.

2. If you're afraid of breaking it, return it now. Problem is if they don't announce an S upgrade, you just wasted 30+ days of not having and enjoy an Apple Watch. Plus, if Apple is going to come out with the Apple Watch 2 in the fall, you're 30 days closer to that event so then you'd be wondering if you should wait for that. Or you could wait till March 2018 for the Apple Watch 3 to come out. Or the Apple Watch 4 in September 2020........

I guess my point being, take extra care of your watch during this 30 period. Only put on and take off the watch over carpet in case you drop it. Otherwise, once it's on your arm, it's mostly safe.

21. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

If anyone thinks buying their first Apple Watch all be the purchase of the lifetime then...

In less than ten years how many iPhone, or iPads have most of us been through?

If the new watch is advanced enough in features then I might buy one, however the normal product cycle would say the current model will be good for until watch 2 (not S) comes out. Even then it will function well for another two years.

22. WLS macrumors 65816

I would think an authorized retailer would have some communication with Apple on availability of current and upcoming products. I see Target has $100 discount on the watch now as predicted. Gonna wait though and see what March brings. If they do introduce an S version then there will be even more discounts on the original. They still have to make it usable with cellular ipads.

23. kozz, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

kozz thread starter macrumors member

My Target tends to have a low stock so I plan on swinging on Saturday then getting a rain check and actually getting the watch sometime the following week and then if something happens in March I'll be able to return it, because I'll be within the 30 day return policy they have. Plus it will give time for my dock and screen protecto to get in

24. WLS macrumors 65816

sounds like a plan. I'm waiting for proof the OS update will support ipads before I can move since I don't have an iphone.

25. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

If you bought your watch at Best Buy, bring back your receipt and get $100 back, they are all on sale for $100 off. Don't count on new ones getting released this quarter.