Apple Watch S3 Siri is quiet

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
Hi folks, I looked around a bit but I didn't seem to find much on this.

I have a SS Apple watch Series 3. I love it. Came from a gen 1 SS and it is amazing.

My silly problem is with Siri speaking back and even a bit with phone calls on the watch...

It just does not seem loud enough. Is it just me?

(for example):

Maybe my hearing is going, but when I ask the weather in the car, I have to strain to hear it, and when I take a phone call on the watch at home with not tv/radio on in the house, it is hard to hear my wife.

I do run and play basketball with the watch on. I do shower with the watch on when it gets a little nasty.

I do use the eject water feature.

I also do not expect the speaker to be blaring after the watch gets wet. I have even kept it dry for 48 hrs to see if that would help...nope.

Yes, I went into settings on the app (sounds and hepatics) and turned the alert volume all the way up.;)

Thank you in advance for any insight and assistance!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The speaker on the Series 3 Apple Watch is fairly improved, and Siri seems to be fairly audible. I would just try a hard reset by holding down the digital crown and side button for 10 seconds. Also, check the speaker port to make sure there is nothing lodged inside that you cannot see.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Actually Siri speaks at 2 different levels. Quite voice response when you say "Hey Siri" and a much louder voice response if you push the Digital Crown in until Siri responds.

Try it as it is a very noticeable difference.

Dave

Reactions: Orangeman13

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
I have a similar problem. My watch series 3 doesn't speak with the time with Mickey Mouse and also Siri is not responding with audio. The sound works on the Watch however. Anyone any idea? So your hear something back? Only on a low volume?

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Mickey & Minnie and Siri voices need to be download. How long have you had your Watch as these voices need to be downloaded?

For Mickey and Minnie. open the Apple Watch app, tap the My Watch tab, then tap Sounds & Haptics. Then make sure that Tap to Speak Time is on.

If they still don't speak, you might need to download their voices. Connect your Apple Watch to a trusted Wi-Fi network, then place your Apple Watch on its charger. Wait for about fifteen minutes, then tap the screen again.

On Apple Watch Series 3, you can choose when Siri speaks:
  1. On your Apple Watch, tap Settings > General > Siri.
  2. Choose an option: Always On, Control with Silent Mode, or Headphones Only.
If Siri doesn't speak, your Apple Watch needs to download the voice. The download happens when you’re on Wi-Fi and your Apple Watch is charging. To give the download time to complete, try charging your Apple Watch overnight.

To check the status of the download on your Apple Watch, tap Settings > General > Siri, then scroll to Siri Voice. If the voice needs to download, you'll see this message: "Siri will speak with the same voice selected on your iPhone. Waiting to download. Download will occur when your watch is charging."

Dave

Reactions: jef82

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
I have mine Apple Watch series 3 since the release date. I always charge my Watch overnight. I double checked that every setting is correct like you said. When I go to sleep I even set the WiFi on my phone on, I don't know if this is required. But After all this time I still see the message of "Siri will speak with the same voice selected on your iPhone. Waiting to download. Download will occur when your watch is charging." I'm getting crazy why it would not work. I thought that they was a bug in the os, that's why I thought that the OP has the same issues. Even Mickey and Minnie don't speak the time. With my previous watch this worked however. If I put my phone off, I see that my Watch can connect to the WiFi by the way. I also disconnect and pair again the Watch several times with no success.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The message about the Siri downloading is what is keeping Siri's voice from working. So change the Voice / Language on the iPhone: Settings, Tap Siri & Search, pick a different Gender for Siri Voice.

For Mickey & Minnie, check the Watch app Sound & Haptics setting to verify Tap to Speak Time is Enabled. To get the voices to download: Select the Mickey watch face, tap the screen (yes, it should not work) leave it as the face for now. Now disable Wi-Fi on your iPhone to force your watch to Wi-Fi. Now place your watch on it's charger and wait about 15 minutes and then tap the Mickey watch face.

Note: Did you have a previous watch that you might have restored from? Did you have any Beta's on your watch?

Dave

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Actually Siri speaks at 2 different levels. Quite voice response when you say "Hey Siri" and a much louder voice response if you push the Digital Crown in until Siri responds. Try it as it is a very noticeable difference.
I can’t discern any noticeable difference.

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
The message about the Siri downloading is what is keeping Siri's voice from working. So change the Voice / Language on the iPhone: Settings, Tap Siri & Search, pick a different Gender for Siri Voice.

For Mickey & Minnie, check the Watch app Sound & Haptics setting to verify Tap to Speak Time is Enabled. To get the voices to download: Select the Mickey watch face, tap the screen (yes, it should not work) leave it as the face for now. Now disable Wi-Fi on your iPhone to force your watch to Wi-Fi. Now place your watch on it's charger and wait about 15 minutes and then tap the Mickey watch face.

Note: Did you have a previous watch that you might have restored from? Did you have any Beta's on your watch?

Dave
I have done the steps what you described still without any success. And yes I have restored my Watch with my previous Watch and I didn't install any beta's on my Watch.