Apple Watch S3 SS Scratch screen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ShadowYYZ, Oct 15, 2017.

1. ShadowYYZ, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

ShadowYYZ macrumors 6502a

ShadowYYZ

This is my first Apple Watch I purchased the SS edition since my sport series 1 had some scratches.
    Strangely, I've been babying this SS LTE watch and I see a scratch that I can feel with my finger nail. I thought the watch on these are sapphire crystal? Is there anything I can do? Its really bothering since I thought investing into the higher end watch would be more scratch resistant. I don't think its the coaching since I can feel it with my finger nail.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I did a google search and saw some threads here from 2015..
    Edit

I did buy ac+ yesterday pictures below
    Thanks..

Attached Files:

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I have seen where people remove the coating to get rid of a scratch. I don’t have my SS one yet but this is a concern of mine after seeing lots of threads like this. Why have the screen with a coating that scratches so easy?

3. warburg macrumors 6502a

How long have you had this watch? Do you have Apple Care? The screen on the Edition 3 should not scratch easily, if at all. Apparently, you have a defect here. You need to call Apple and find out why your options are.

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Would AC cover cosmetic stuff? I’m sure the op didn’t scratch the screen, just the coating which I think is crazy myself. Lots about it in threads here and other places.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple doesn't cover cosmetic damage for the display, unless they verify its a defect. Not to mention, we don't know if the OP inadvertently scratched the watch himself or how bad it is without pictures. And sapphire can scratch and it's not imprevious to damage, but it's very difficult to do so.

6. AGamble macrumors regular

Will they cover a replacement with AC+?

I know that with the Hermes you get 2 replacements (each with a small fee) but I'm unsure if minor, self inflicted damage is covered?

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good question. I'm not aware of that with AppleCare +. The OP didn't mention if he had AppleCare or not (Which he likely does not). When it comes to scratching the display, I would suggest to bring it in the store versus talking over the phone. Usually things are Rectified better in store then they are over the phone, because they can physically see it.

Pictures would really helpful to see how bad the scratch is. If it's very minor, I don't see Apple replacing it without AppleCare.

8. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

Sounds weird if you have been very careful with it. I've been wearing my SS S2 for over a year now (and a S0 SB SS for a year before that) and not a single sign of usage on the sapphire.

9. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

I had scratches on my Series 2 SS after two days of use - and not one or two minor ones. They were very visible in direct sunlight and I don't think that it's only been the coating. Was super let down by the enormous price tag and the supposedly almost unscratchable screen. Apple refunded me right away.

10. ShadowYYZ thread starter macrumors 6502a

ShadowYYZ

Oddly enough my iPhone won’t let me upload others. It’s hard too see from this picture but I will take an updated one.. I did buy the AC + and I haven’t bumped into anything.. I feel it with my finger nail too
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    Here is a good picture.. and I bought AC+ yesterday at an Apple store and I asked a fellow employee I wanted it added he added it n I then asked bout the screen scratching n he stated it happens still.. “ I will perhaps make an appointment “ depending if anyone else here has this issue

Attached Files:

11. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

Watch this the YouTube video that Jerryrigeverything did recently about the sapphire screen on the ceramic series 3.
    Very enlightening.

12. donster28, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

donster28 macrumors 68000

I suspect you didn’t notice the scratch upon opening the box of your new watch.

We all get very excited and get mesmerized by the awesome presentation in front us (and that new Apple product smell...ahhh) that we sometimes forget to examine our new toys properly.

I myself have been victim of minor cosmetic defects on newly purchased Apple products in the past and taking them to the Apple store within the return period always gets me a replacement. There is always that factory employee who doses off or is maybe having a bad day when he was making your product.

You have these options:
    1. If you’re in the return preiod, take it back for a refund/replacement and be honest about your situation when talking to the Apple retail employee.
    2. If option 1 does not work in your favour, take advantage of your 1st incidental damage on your AppleCare+. Unfortunately you have to spend a little to get your watch replaced with this and lose one of your two incidental damage allowance.

Remember, ask nicely and explain your situation properly when at the Apple Store.

13. damonbus macrumors regular

damonbus

If you are in your return window just bring it back and say it was like that when you opened the box. You will get a new one, simple.