Apple Watch S4 battery life suddenly much worse.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I've noticed just over the last few days that my battery life is awful on my series 4. It doesn't seem like it's been a gradual thing - just all of a sudden. As in it was 100% one morning, and I didn't wear it at all that day, but went to pick it up the next morning and it was completely dead. That has NEVER happened.

I put it on yesterday afternoon around 3:15 and it was 100%, and this evening at 6, it was 30%. That's doable, and certainly not like it dropping 100% in 24 hours just sitting on my desk, but it's nothing like I was getting before. On a normal day I'd MAYBE go from 100% in the morning to 70 or so in the evening.

I'm almost positive my software updated recently, so I think I'm up to date. Did a recent update possibly affect battery life?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
There’s a chance. Try a restart, if that doesn’t help then unpair and repair. My series 4 seems to be working fine with all the updates and I use the most complicated watch face.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
I have a series 3 but I’m also seeing a drain. A slight one but still a drain. I removed it from the charger and put it on my wrist at around 9:00 PM. It is now 2 PM and I’m at 68%. Definitely not normal for me. Normally it would be in the upper 80s right now.

se95dah

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
Can you check your usage and standby times for the watch by going into the watch app on your phone, selecting general-usage and scrolling to the bottom? When I’ve had severe intermittent battery life issues with my series 4 recently it’s coincided with usage and standby times being equal, for example 15 hours of usage and 15 hours standby in a day. I’m convinced it’s a bug with iCloud services introduced in iOS 13 and watchOS 6.

Ian Price

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
There’s another thread on here about this with some useful hints and tips, I had this on my S4 for a few days before it came back to normal. Even though I hadn’t changed anything before the drain started I decided to turn off a few things like gym kit detect, raise to wake and hey Siri, then rebooted the watch and it’s fine now, it could well have been just rebooting did the trick it’s just I turned the others off at the same time. I’m a watch newbie but as pointed out above the usage and standby times being equal is key and that’s what I had, it seems like the watch is doing something in the background and draining your battery so perhaps just a reboot will sort.

ssledoux

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yeah I'm not sure what was going on, but mine is definitely better now. I wouldn't say it's completely back to normal, but the battery is definitely winding up the day with at least 50% left.

Reactions: Ian Price

Ian Price

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Same here, around 2% drain per hour over 24 hours which am happy with, do hear some really bad stories on other thread like but touch wood only had one blip in a month.