Apple Watch S4 Cellular Data Plan (EE)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

So last night, I set up my S4 Apple Watch and also activated the £5 a month data plan with EE (my iPhone XS is also with EE).

I was under the impression that both the watch and the phone use the same number (so my iPhone uses 0770 123 4567) when making phone calls but upon looking on my online EE account and talking with the EE rep, it seems that my watch has a different number (so, 0770 987 6543) to my phone?!

Is this correct?!

2. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

Yes

3. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Yep. That is a virtual number and EE get it forwarded to your real number. Also if you make calls from it, it will come from your real number, Been with EE for 2nd year now and works great. I even made a mistake when transferring to new AW last week and took out a new plan by mistake and EE just cancelled my original £5 plan. The good part was my mistake gave me a new virtual number and 3 months free :)

4. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68030

Dino F

...thanks for that - appreciated.

So even if I text from the watch (when away from the phone), the recipient sees the message as coming from the same number as my phone?

5. BillGates1969 macrumors 6502

BillGates1969

Yep, though SMS will only work if phone is turned on. iMessage and voice calls work fine whether phone is off or on.

EDIT: I believe that if you try and call the virtual number it doesn't work either as a number.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just to clarify it is not a virtual phone number assigned to your watch. Any cellular device is currently required to have a unique phone number assigned to it. This is a real carrier phone number.

As indicated above it is not designed to allow you to call this number directly and here in the USA if you call, you get a carrier message that this phone number has not configured Voice mail.

The carrier's back-end systems use software to bind your watch's unique phone number and your paired iPhone number so that calls from your watch appear to come from your iPhone and calls to your iPhone ring on both your iPhone and your watch.

Dave