Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
As sophisticated as the Apple watch is, it is still a dumb device running on a few bits of hardware and some algorithms. As such it will always be possible to fool it, particularly if you try to. Thus, well done for outwitting a watch.

It is really just a tool to try and help those who want to be helped to make better choices for personal fitness. In that role, it seems to perform really quite well.

It’s also tied to achievements and badges that can mess up in any number of ways. Some of us are obsessive about our rings and challenges, and to have them fail when we earn them can be aggravating. Knowing how to make them work doesn’t hurt anything, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It’s also tied to achievements and badges that can mess up in any number of ways. Some of us are obsessive about our rings and challenges, and to have them fail when we earn them can be aggravating. Knowing how to make them work doesn’t hurt anything, either.

I will add, in view of your comments, that those who really are obsessive, or genuinely interested even, in rings and challenges seem unlikely to actively seek to fool these devices, and absent intent, the ability to actually and unintentionally fool each device is equally shared by us all.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I haven't noticed any difference between S2/S4 stand hours. I still have to move to get credits. (But I have always thought that AW gives those stand hours way to easily. Personally I think you should move more than 1-2 minutes to get stand credits).

Agree, and agree. I'm older ;) and though I sleep with only one bathroom break most nights, every so often I get up several times during the night. There have been a few days in the past year where I got 21 or 22 stand hours. :eek: :D

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I think it’s a very distinct post what they elaborated on, Being it is a tool to help those to monitor their daily activity to make better choices to having fitness goals, and it works efficiently, I’m not sure why/how you misconstrued what they said, even _after_ they re-explained that in their second post. In the same respect, I think it’s a valid point that are those who will try to take advantage of these devices by ‘fooling’ for stats that did not legitimately achieve, but the majority have good intentions with using the watch as a fitness tracker for their own health indicators.
Its all relative.

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I’ve had a watch since series 2 and though I don’t remember what release it occurred with, I used to get an unusual amount of stand hours while sleeping. I’ve seen a 24 hour stand day before...

In the last 6 months or so, it hasn’t been nearly as bad (getting 1 or 2 when I’m sleeping still occasionally happens and not sure how..).

I did upgrade to a S4 last weekend and haven’t noticed any difference.

Like a good portion of people, I work a desk job and get reminded about every hour to stand (some days I’m just not up moving around as much as others!). I do know it’s easy to trick if I don’t want to stand up, but I try to get up once an hour and walk around for a few minutes.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I'm finding that a few times I don't get the stand when I have been up and moving around.
Right, which is why I've posted what I've found works. I can't walk with anything in my watch hand or I don't get credit. I'll do jumping jacks while walking with family to make sure it gets counted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.