Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have been using my SS Series 9 for 3 months now and have been very happy with it. But I am already noticing some scratches on the case. I think I am even seeing a scratch on the display. I don't remember doing anything that could cause these scratches. I am very careful with my watch. I never drop it, hit it against something, or sleep while wearing it. The only thing that could be the cause is putting on and removing the Milanese Loop. I have been noticing the scratches after I got the Milanese Loop.

When I bought the watch at the Apple Store, they told me the SS version is much more resistant to scratches, and I have also read that online.

Is this normal? And will Apple replace it for free? I don't have AppleCare+.

Hope someone can help me

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
The Milanese loop band is notorious for damaging watches; I've read dozens of accounts of it here, and it's the primary reason I haven't bought one.

If you had the regular stainless steel watch, people have had good success using a Cape Cod cloth to buff out scratches, but I don't think that's an option with the graphite finish.

And no, Apple will not replace your watch for cosmetic damage.

Reactions: AppleFan.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Your Milanese Loop is probably the primary culprit. It has a well known history of scratching the case and screen of the watch.

Apple won't replace cosmetic damage.
I don't know how it could scratch the screen, because the Milanese loop doesn't touch my screen. But isn't this Apple's fault? Why would they sell a band that damages the watch? And in the Apple Store they told me it is very scratch resistant, especially the display.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
The Milanese loop band is notorious for damaging watches; I've read dozens of accounts of it here, and it's the primary reason I haven't bought one.

If you had the regular stainless steel watch, people have had good success using a Cape Cod cloth to buff out scratches, but I don't think that's an option with the graphite finish.

And no, Apple will not replace your watch for cosmetic damage.
I'm very dissapointed. They told me at the Apple Store it is very scratch resistant and even online I read about how there isn't a single scratch on people their SS watches after years of heavy use. I have mine only 3 months.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
"Scratch Resistant" doesn't mean it will never scratch, it just means it's less likely to scratch than the alternative products.

I don't think it's reasonable to not buy AppleCare, then scratch the screen, then expect that Apple would fix that for free. You're the one managing the watch and band, you're the one that didn't buy AppleCare, it kinda seems like a personal responsibility thing to me.

No offence intended.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
"Scratch Resistant" doesn't mean it will never scratch, it just means it's less likely to scratch than the alternative products.

I don't think it's reasonable to not buy AppleCare, then scratch the screen, then expect that Apple would fix that for free. You're the one managing the watch and band, you're the one that didn't buy AppleCare, it kinda seems like a personal responsibility thing to me.

No offence intended.
Well I think there might be a defect, I am not even sure these scratches are from the band, because the band doesn't touch the screen. And I have already had another problem with the same watch which I had to return, there was a loose side button, and noticed it the day I bought it.

I just noticed the scratch recently, but it could be that the scratch already was there from the beginning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.