Apple Watch Sapphire wears stain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bram.96, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

I have this weird stain on my series 0 Apple Watch. I have had it for 1,5 years now and over the course of last month, this weird stain has shown up and has been growing ever since. Has anyone experienced this as well, and does someone know how to remove it?

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

My computer will not allow me to see the images but if it is a black stain on the screen it is likely water which kills the OLED screen.

OK, now looked at the images and do not know what that is. Does it look like it is on the surface or outside the screen or inside? Maybe the coating wearing off the surface of the screen?

3. Relentless Power, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't think it's a stain. I'm guessing here, but looks like moisture or water is inside the display and it's spreading. Has the Apple Watch Been wet or submerged in water lately?

Otherwise, it could be the oleophobic coating.

4. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

The 'stain' is on the surface of the sapphire glass, you can see it sitting atop the airgap between the OLED and the glass. As far as I know it hasn't been submerged, but I do love in the Netherlands so sometimes it has to endure a bit of rain. But I thought it was supposed to be resistant to it

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I can't tell from your pictures if it's on top or under the display. However, The first Generation Apple Watch is water resistant rated at IPX7. Which means it should be fine to wear the watch in the rain or washing your hands, but any type of submersion could cause issues. In my opinion, I think your watch has either water damage spreading or it's a separation of the oleophobic coating. I don't know what else it could be besides those two occurrences.

Either way, I would contact Apple and make an appointment to have them assess the situation, being it's spreading.

6. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

Thanks for the reply! I've thought about contacting Apple as well, however the watch is already out of warranty. I don't know how much the cost of replacing a watch is, but at this point in time I think it might be better to just buy a new watch. I thought someone on here might know some way of removing these, so there wouldn't be any visual blemishes if I decide to sell my watch when I'll eventually buy a new one

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The cost would really determine what the actual defect or issue is. You can still contact Apple and see what they say. I would be interested to know the outcome. But otherwise, if you can't remove the stain with a microfiber cloth on the outside, I think it's under the display. And if it's under the display, that leads me to believe it's moisture. But then again, if you have owned the watch for over year and a half, I doubt the oleophobic coating would separate the way it is depicted in your pictures. Again, I am only speculating.

8. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

I'll post it when I've visited an Apple Store. My town doesn't have an official Apple Store, just a reseller. I do sometimes visit Amsterdam where an officer one is located. It has great service (replaced my iPhone screen and even the whole phone once) so I hope they can be of some service in the case of the watch