Apple Watch Saved the Day

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Ecoh, May 15, 2015.

1. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I accidentally locked myself out of my car today. Keys and iPhone on the seat and my dog jumped on the door and pushed it shut and it locked. I was at a remote trail head about 10 miles from anywhere.
    I panicked at first and then remembered I could make a call from my Apple Watch. :D

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Nice. Maybe it wont be too long before you can use the watch to just lock/unlock the door. My wife's car has no key so it should not take much more to just see her watch versus the fob she carries.

3. Ollé macrumors member

Ollé

Some car manufacturers are already heading that way with Tesla and VW already having apps that allow this on their vehicles.

Living in the future is awesome.

4. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Not to derail the thread, but what happens if it's locked and the battery is 100% dead?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

All of the key fobs I've seen actually have a physical key "hidden" inside of them. In the car, you pop the "lid" off the Start button, and it has an old-fashioned lock you stick the key into.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Today I left my wallet at home and used Apple Pay to get lunch.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Technically isn't this the present for us?

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Yup, most have proximity sensors, but if the battery dies it won't work. Most do have a key hidden in them. However, I don't think the Tesla has a key hidden, but I'm sure Tesla is smart enough to let you know way in advance to address it.

9. Che Castro macrumors 603

Is there an app or website that tells you what places around you accepts apple pay, using your location

????

10. techspin macrumors 6502a

If you're left with no other options, you could knock out a window. Who says playing GTA doesn't teach you anything? :)

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most keyless keys (whatever these things are called, I still call them keys because they do go on my key ring!) still have a hidden metal key in them for situations like this.

12. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

My 16 year old Mercedes has a hard to access separate battery for the security system, which unlocks the doors, so even if the hood is pried open and the mains disconnected, the alarm will still sound. It is therefore not discharged in the event a person leaves their lights on accidentally. So the odds of it also being completely discharged are pretty low. I would assume this particular feature would still be a part of most cars, especially since physical keys are becoming a thing of the past.

On the other hand, if you're in the middle of nowhere and your car battery is completely dead, getting into the car is the least of your problems. Unless of course you've locked your phone in the car as well. Then short of having an Watch, breaking the window is about your only option. Then again, what if you've been away from your car long enough for your phone battery to die as well? Or what if there's no cell reception in the middle of nowhere? What if the Watch ran out of power because it only lasts for 18 hours, and you forgot to charge it overnight and/or listened to music from it during your 6 hour hike. Or what if you're at some remote beach and left your Watch in the car because it's not water proof? What if all of the above happened, and the car was also out of gas because you ruptured a fuel line going off-road? In which case, probably more than the Watch, you should probably always carry a good pair of hiking boots, and some emergency food and water.

13. QuoteChrist macrumors member

Been there, done that....absolute life saver!

14. Neutral Milk macrumors regular

Neutral Milk

Usually I find your snide comments pretty funny.

This one missed the mark. Being so literal didn't work in this scenario.

Just thought you'd like to know what some random stranger on the internet thought about your humor!

15. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

For locksmiths, there's MasterCard. For everything else, there's Apple Watch :apple: :)

16. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

17. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

The irony is that many people wouldn't dream of looking for them :)

18. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'll try to up my snide comment game...

19. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

One reason I love smart keys on cars is that it's impossible to lock your keys in the car. Just the other day, my keys had fallen out of my pocket onto the driver's seat and my car refused to lock because it sensed they were still in the car.

20. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Yes on many cars, it's impossible to lock the door manually when open and shut it while the key fob is inside the card. However, you can lock the car from inside with the doors closed. As the OP mentioned he had a dog, I'm reminded of the unfortunate event where I left my dog in the car and shut my unlocked door to keep her inside temporarily. During that brief time, she managed to step on the door lock button and lock the doors from the inside with my keys in the ignition. After spending :20 trying to get her to step on the button again, I had my friend stay with the car while I took a cab home and got my spare key. Fortunately it was a cool overcast day. This has happened to parents of small children as well, including friends of mine. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out as conveniently as it did in my case. The Watch would solve this kind of problem.

----------

I wonder if the Watch would have gotten you out of jail had you been pulled over driving without your wallet?

When the Watch will support official government and corporate IDs, it will truly be indispensable.

21. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

Lol, this thought occurred to me also. Low risk for me because I'm a careful driver. Luckily, many states are considering digital driver's licenses.

22. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

No, that was the past.

23. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Not sure if this is what you are asking for...
    Mobile Pay Finder https://appsto.re/us/EFNk4.i

Locates contactless payment establishments. In my experience, if it's contactless, it's worked with ApplePay.

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

Thanks

25. WilliamG macrumors 604

Pictures or it didn't happen. :cool: