Apple Watch Scenarios for those who don't get it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Blakjack, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Kind of frustrated with people who just don't understand what smart watches are for. Thought it would be kind of cool to have us list our own scenarios we've come up with in our heads to validate the existence of the smart watch

here's mine

EXAMPLE:

EXAMPLE: You're driving and you've forgotten to take your phone out of your back pocket. And since you are a responsible driver, you always wear your seat belt. Your butt starts vibrating because your phone is ringing. Now you're fighting yourself trying to get to the phone because it just might be important. Finally you're able to dig the phone out of your butt to find out it was just someone trying sell you a free trip to a place that doesn't even exist.

#IfYouHadAnAppleWatch

2. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Or just answer the phone through the Bluetooth in your car?!
    (Btw I'm getting an apple watch but this isn't such a great example. )

3. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

I would NEVER sit on my phone. There are better examples for sure.

4. iDabble macrumors regular

This

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

And since you are a responsible driver, you won't be using your phone while driving either ;)

I see what you're trying to say, but not the best example IMO. For me, one of the best things'll be being able to read texts with my phone in my suit pocket whilst also wearing a coat. Or being able to answer calls while gardening. Or looking at Instagram photos at the bus stop! :D

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Sure there are some situations where an Apple Watch would be a convenient alternative to using your phone, but none are so important that you can use it to justify a purchase.

I keep thinking that it would be awesome for travelling. Like when I have to take a cramped tube at rush hour and want to change playlists without pulling out the huge slab that is an iPhone 6 Plus.

Or when the trains mess up, and I need to use the Uber app to get a cab home. Pulling out my phone and doing all of this, especially when it's cold and late is a bit of a bother.

Other than that, I've got nothing (still ordered one :p)

7. Blakjack thread starter macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Back pocket, side pocket....same thing guys. LOL. I'm in my car 10 hours out of the day and constantly have to get in and get out with my phone in hand. That's a perfect example. Maybe not for everyone but....

My point is I'm trying to stir up more examples from you all.

8. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

For me it's more about not having to carry my phone when I'm home walking around or working. Or I'm sitting in a restaurant and I can just glance at my watch instead of pulling out my phone. Just a convenience thing.

9. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

To expand on the first example, I do have my phone connected via Bluetooth in the car, so calls are best handled that way. But texts and emails are either missed because my phone was in my pocket and I didn't notice them or because it takes too long to get my phone out at a stoplight. I don't plan to be texting and driving, but I do think a quick glance at the wrist can probably be done safely.

Another example is navigation. Having a tap on the wrist and a large indicator on the watch screen when it's time to turn should be a significant improvement over using the phone.

Aside from driving, I also sometimes miss emails and notifications because my phone was in my pocket and I didn't hear or feel anything, so I look at the phone as a sort of insurance. I'm a freelancer and make my living via emails with clients, so I really can't afford to miss them.

10. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

This is a terrible example, and if you have to make a list of useful scenarios, that kind of says that maybe the watch isn't all that useful. If it were, it would be fairly obvious.

11. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Unlike most people (it seems) I have actually managed my notifications pretty effectively which means they all matter to me. However, for whatever reason, I often miss them. I don't feel the vibration (iPhone 6+ vibration seems utterly pointlessly weak) or hear the sound. A tap on the wrist and a glance at my wrist to see what's come up and decide if I actually need to act on it is 1000x improved over constantly pulling my giant phone out of my pocket ever few minutes to be sure I didn't miss an emergency message from my wife or a facetime call from my daughter, or one of my VIP's emailing with an emergency issue that needs my attention right away.

Basically the canonical use case.

Furthermore, when cycling, I don't like to have my phone out. I prefer to stow it in a frame bag or just covered up in my jersey pocket and getting that out is a big pain compared to a normal pocket grab, plus, it's always something that has to be done very fast, whether in the moment I'm stuck waiting at a light, or actually on my way, I can't be spending more than a couple seconds which means I'm going to rush which means the chances I'll drop the phone from my partially gloved hand is way higher. But, the only thing I need to be doing is double checking that I haven't received any important notifications, or see who is calling me right now before answering on my BT headphones (or more likely, just ignoring the call.)

People depend on me. I have the ability to be responsive which in some cases saves projects, and in less common cases, saves lives.

Frankly, it would be nice just to be able to quickly see what music has come up on shuffle, or pick a different playlist when my mood strikes. I usually pick a playlist before starting a ride but, sometimes it just isn't working for me or I decide to ride longer than the playlist and need to get something else started.

For me, the Watch is a 1000 paper cuts kind of deal. Many tiny uses where no single one is critical, but, in the grand scheme of things, and coupled with my willingness to plan and prepare everything to maximize the value (such as is required when doing, say, GTD planning style), I expect to derive quite a large amount of value from this device.

However, just to offer a counter view, I think if you're too lazy to even bother managing your notifications currently, you're not going to be willing to do the leg work to get the most out of the watch and probably won't be nearly as satisfied with it as I will be. Tools require effort to master and maximize their utility. So much capability is squandered on the iPhones we're already carrying by many people (like people forgetting what they went to the store to buy even though their phone can literally take a list by dictation, or forgetting to get something done even though they could've just asked for a reminder) and I'm suspecting that in the case of the watch, things will actually be even worse.

12. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I am also looking forward to being able to have a watch face with all kinds of useful info on it. Having the time in Japan and the US on the same face, for example, would be very useful to me as I deal with people in Japan all the time (I've converted in my head for years, but it can still trip me up). I also want upcoming calendar events. Some of the complications seem pretty useless (phases of the moon?) but I expect them to add more faces and complications as time goes by.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

EXAMPLE
    I'm walking to the bus stop. I want to check when the next bus is. Instead of reaching into my pocket to drag out my iPhone, I look at my wrist to see where the bus is. Many transit apps have already been updated for the Apple Warch. Looking forward to trying them.

14. boobie12 macrumors 6502

This is a good example much better then op's

15. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

And when you launch the transit app, to your dismay, it takes 30 seconds for the app to load and grab your location information and all of the bus information from your phone. In that time, you could have just pulled out your phone.

The speed with which it is pulling stuff from the phone is going to be a major problem. If this is all about convenience and not having to pull out your phone, the experience needs to be faster than pulling out your phone would be. The reviews seem to show that isn't the case for your scenario.

16. sterl320 macrumors 6502

Because all cars have Bluetooth.

17. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

Nope, i don't use car BT. What if my wife is in the car and my GF calls? :cool:
    My phone sits in my pocket on silent. With the apple watch i don't even have to check my phone and look suspicious. :D

18. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Well this thread might be a lost cause at this point due to bickering over the first example, but I'll give it a go.

You're biking on a Saturday morning while your wife and kid are hanging out at home. Your phone is either in your saddle bag or in the back pocket of your jersey. A text comes in from your wife. Is it an emergency? Is she offering to go out and grab you lunch before you get home? Or is she just telling you she killed a spider? You can't stop and check because you're attempting to get back your Strava KOM title on a very long segment and so far you're ahead of the best time by 15 seconds. The Apple Watch allows you to check that message, find out that there is no emergency, and even respond that California rolls would be great. All without losing a beat.

19. Gozar macrumors regular

Gozar

Completely full calendar at work, you already have to decide which of the three 10am meetings you are going to attend, the one you do results in a huge escalation...now you are headed to your 11am meeting...which room was it in?
    Just look at the watch.:)

Maybe younger folks with better memories don't have this happen..but I do.

20. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

I work or read on the train on my daily commute. Sometimes I'm really focused on what I'm doing and don't realise I'm at my stop. A little tap to alert me would be awesome.

My average day goes something like this:

Wake up
    Run to the gym
    Work out
    Walk back home, stop off at Starbucks on the way
    Walk to the train station
    Commute for a couple hours to wherever I'm based that day
    Go from meeting to meeting throughout the day, receiving a call every 20 minutes or so
    Commute back

I can see the watch fitting into so many aspects of that. Not to mention I enjoy traveling, so having things like flight details and turn by turn navigation on my wrist would be really convenient for that. But then again, I feel like I'm the perfect target market for this thing, for people who have a fairly scheduled, sedentary lifestyle, it's probably not all that useful.

21. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

1) I run with my phone, usually put in a flip belt or pocket. Right now when my phone rings, I usually have to stop and check it to make sure it isn't an emergency. But now I get to glance at my wrist and screen it.

2) I also work a lot with my hands in the lab for hours at a time. I have missed important emails before because my phone is either on my desk or I miss the vibration.

3) I like the idea of being reminded to stand up and walk around. I tend to get absorbed at my desk and the reminders will be helpful.

4) For remembering to put things on my grocery list when I am around my house. I park my phone on the counter at home and sometimes I will be doing something around the house, remember that I need to buy laundry detergent or whatever, and by the time I am back near my phone, I have forgotten about it completely. This way I can just throw it on my list right at that moment.

22. Glene macrumors 6502

I dont have to run find my phone when im home in wifi, to set a timer

The whole coach seat flying experience is easier, phone stays neatly tucked away in underseat laptop bag to access tunes, etc

GREAT THREAD, BTW.....

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hope the OP's "example" is not why he got his phone. ;)

24. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

This is one of the big ones for me. I work in an office with wifi. I regularly leave my phon son my desk or on charge next to my desk and get called away. My pebble does a good job, as long as I am within Bluetooth range. With the wifi connection on both my phone and watch, I can now go the entire range of my office without worrying about walking back into myoffice space with missed calls or texts.

25. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

lol so what happens when my watch starts ringing in college class? just thought about it lol and professor be like yo someone's phone is ringing and ill be nah bruh its my watch... ?:eek::D